Sunday, September 09, 2007

A Sad Farewell






When we awoke this morning, Ashton said, "I hate Grandparent's Day because Memaw's leaving." The mood continued. I made funny face pancakes for everyone this morning and mine, as you can see from the picture, had a sad face. That's how I felt about leaving all of them this morning.

But the kids got excited during the drive since we drove through a few tunnels once we reached Atlanta. Ashton played with my electronic Yahtzee game on the way, and calmly told us he got four yahtzees in one game. I found that hard to believe and asked to see the game. Sure enough, four of them and a score of 615. Clayton said he can just see Ashton headed for Bandera every year with Cheryl and me. Last night we introduced him to the real game where you actually roll dice. He enjoyed that and I have a feeling his parents will be playing that a lot with him. Juliet sat beside me and said, "Juliet's turn", and I'd let her roll for me. She even gave me a yahtzee. Angela got two yahtzees and won the game.

It was hard getting out of the car and saying goodbye to everyone. Callan was asleep so I only brushed his cheek. I think Juliet was bewildered by my tears. I hugged Ashton and told him I'd see him Thanksgiving. He's asked if he and Jude can have a sleepover then, and both mothers said YES. Leaving Angela and Clayton was hard too. They were so good to me during my stay and showed me such a beautiful working family. They are truly blessed and I am blessed to be a part of them.

On the upside, Robin was smiling when I got to the baggage claim area and vowed to keep me home with him for awhile. Nothing like being accepted coming and going.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget taking Ashton to Bandera, I'm thinking Vegas.

I'm glad you all had a great trip. I don't know when I'll see them again and it makes me so sad. Last time I saw them was in January...too long ago!

Callan looks so cute all wrapped up in that chair. There's no way he's falling out of that.

angela | the painted house said...

We miss you!!!! Thank you for coming and all that you did to help us out and spoil us. I don't think Ashton enjoyed his back scratch as much last night as he did the last week!

Guess who smiled at me last night? CALLAN! It was a genuine smile--no gas. It reduced me to tears of joy. SO BEAUTIFUL!

Peggy said...

How wonderful, Angela! I noticed he was making eye contact and the smiles would be forthcoming. Glad Mother Jugs got to receive the first one. Bet his smile was so handsome.

I'm ready to come back. Can you fetch me at the airport?

Anonymous said...

Love the feet sticking out. Precious. They all are.

Anonymous said...

Jude cannot wait for the sleep over with Jude. This is Jude and Ashton at memaw's house, right? I think that would be fun! I love the pictures!