Friday, September 21, 2007

Guest Blogger - Allison


Please do not issue a missing person's report, I have her and she is safe as long as she follows my instructions. I have her in my possession because I cannot live without her. I am talking about my mom and the author of this blog - Peggy.

This morning she arrived before 9am to care for #1 and #3 while I took #2 to get her tonsils and adenoids removed. Oh sure the appointment is at 9:45 but she didn't go into surgery until 11:15. By 11:25 the doctor came into the waiting room and gave us a good report on our little girl. At about 12:00 the nurse called my husband and I back to hold our little girl and console her as she screamed at the top of her empty throat. She ate 3 Popsicles - half of which ended up in my hair - then they sent us home.

The patient was very grumpy all the way home just saying single syllable words and pointing at what she wanted. Is this how it is going to be for the next couple of days? I can handle it as long as there is an end in sight. We go to the pharmacy to get pain medication. I stressed to the pharmacy tech that I cannot wait the 15 minutes quoted and she graciously rushed my order. Baylee cried all the way home and I just prayed that I could get home before she passes out from pain. We drive up the driveway and I look at my little girl in the back seat, face flushed with pain/crying and I scoop her up with the plan of placing her gently into her comfy bed to recover from this most traumatic experience.

We walked into the door and she saw her memaw sitting in the living room. I am not kidding when I say she leaped from my arms and ran into her memaw's waiting arms. She was talking 90 miles an hour as if nothing was wrong. How does this happen? Will she revert back to her pitiful self as soon as memaw walks out the door? Well I'm not risking it. She is here to stay and I dare you to come and try to get her from me!!!!!

Did I mention she also administered her pain medication and got her to drink more water than she has consumed her entire life? Yeah, she is here to stay.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison, you're so funny!!

As a pharm tech I have to fess up to not only graciously rushing along children's prescriptions because they are little precious innocent children in pain and/or sick but we also "graciously" rush them along for us and everyone in the building listening to them scream and cry their little, but very loud, lungs out. :)

BTW, what are adnoids for anyway??

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went great and you had your mom there to relieve your mind of anything else. She is something. I called around noon to see how things were going. As your mom talked, she would very calmly say "Jude, don't do that you might hurt your sister" or "Sophia, just what do you have in your mouth". She did this all without missing a beat in talking....then she tells me she is going grocery shopping to buy items for ice cream for Baylee and her other patient, Robin, at home! I knew Baylee would get through this, kids are so resilent (sp).....now we have to worry about the parents!

Love you Randee, Baylee, Jude and
Sophia you too Peggy!!!

angela | the painted house said...

I can believe how well Baylee did! A little drama is okay for Mommy--but sounds like Memaw has the touch. And if anyone is going to kidnap Memaw it is me!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Baylee did so well. I know you are relieved that it is over.