Monday, June 04, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mother!


We celebrated my mother's 81st birthday yesterday at their home, a place we lovingly call "the farm". Today is her actual birthday and I want to wish her a happy, healthy one. One thing I greatly admire about her is her stamina. Even though it was her birthday, she pitched in and did most of the work. She made the patties for hamburgers and Donna grilled them. She also made the baked beans, chocolate ice cream and did all the slicing and cutting up for "the fixins'". And I can't fail to mention the two cakes! All very delicious, but can't compare to the work she does during holiday meals.


Her freezer was loaded with her homemade wheat bread and we were welcome to take home as many loaves as we wanted. With all the kneading of dough she does, her arms are strong. I believe her talent for making bread and her desire to keep her family well fed is the secret to her stamina. I admire and respect her for all the years she had stood in front of the stove and prepared wonderful meals for us.


Mother was my favorite babysitter when my children were growing up. I knew she loved them and would take care of them. They loved going there too, to be pampered. Now that I feel my age more I can't believe I left them with her for a week on several occasions! But what a comfort knowing my children were in safe hands.


The picture of mother was taken yesterday as she proudly displayed her painting from Angela. She was showing it to everyone and telling us she knew the perfect place for it. The new room addition, their sun room, is in pretty spring colors and the painting will fit perfectly. She is thrilled with it and kept the box closed until we arrived and she could open it in front of us. She will be sending Angela a thank you note, but asked that I tell her in the blog how happy she is to receive an Angela original!


Happy birthday, Mother. Enjoy your day and may God richly bless you with many more years as the grand matriarch of our family. We love you.


4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I'm so glad she liked her painting! I just got off the phone with NanNaw, and it sounded like she had a nice celebration yesterday. Sorry I missed all that homemade ice cream.

Happy Birthday, NanNaw!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mother! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday again, can't say it enough to such a wonderful lady....

Anonymous said...

A happy belated birthday to your Mom. I know she will cherish the picture Angela sent. Looks like those two lovebirds sure made alot of fine little chicks! You are so blessed.