Monday, June 18, 2007

Slumber Party & Father's Day

This past weekend was wonderful! For all you young mothers out there who feel your free time is either limited or non-existent, take heart. Life isn't over when the nest empties. Never believe that age determines your quality of life. There is much to be said about hitting middle age and having the time to do those things that interest us.

As long as we roll with the punches and accept that our children are growing up and we find new excitement in every stage of their growth and our own, we will find happiness. When a child marries and leaves home an era ends, but another one begins. Not only is their life taking a new turn, but ours can too. We just need to know how to look for the silver lining when things change.

My new thrill during hunting season, business trips or a fishing trip like this weekend, is hosting a slumber party. Patty and I may plan all sorts of activities or we may be lazy. Since we had so much rain this weekend we did less browsing (although we always fit that in) and more relaxing at home with good books, games, and conversation. Saturday evening we watched the fat rain drops in the pool while enjoying coffee and cinnamon scones. There were times we were each doing our own thing but it was still great. No cooking, no rigid schedules, no nothing. Just doing what we wanted. The time passes so quickly and we enjoy every minute of it.

On Father's Day I drove to East Texas in the pouring rain to Gene and Rita's house for burgers, potato salad, baked beans, cookies and two freezers of ice cream - chocolate and vanilla. It was a smaller crowd and it enabled us to visit more. We insisted that Sugar, the guest of honor, go through the food line first. He and I competed on the ice cream and I don't know which of us ate the most. My scales could probably tell me.

Sugar hit the jackpot on clothes. Most of us gave him shorts and shirts. The last family gathering found him in white satin shorts with an elastic waistband and white shirt. Mother shook her head as she told us he can't buy for himself. In his defense, Sugar insisted the satiny shorts were all he could find without joining the younger generation and buying the baggy, long shorts. Anyway, I think he can now retire those shorts or use them for lounging wear.

Mother told the story of when she was heavily pregnant with Donna and she had to get on top of the house to get me. I was three and had climbed a ladder that was left leaning against the house. When she discovered what I'd done, I was already on the roof and having a grand time. Three-year-olds don't know the danger, only the fun of such a climb. So, Mother had to climb that ladder, get on the roof, and grab me. She successfully carried both Donna and me back to safety. Sorry, Sissy, if you've lived with an unexplained fear of heights.

Gene and Rita's log house is nestled within a grove of big trees that keep out the noise. There were no sounds of cars or planes or sirens. It was quiet and peaceful with a light rain.

When I made it back home, Robin had already arrived from Galveston. I'd left him a new camera case on the table with a note from me and our foster cat, Weasil, telling him what a wonderful foster Dad he has been. It was great seeing him again after his four-day trip. He ruined it by telling me he'd missed my cooking, so I guess it's back to the kitchen. All slumber parties must come to an end.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No unusual fear of heights. Now I do have a fear of cleaning house.

angela | the painted house said...

Glad you all had a fun weekend and were safe driving in all that rain.

Anonymous said...

first and foremost, did anyone and her 3 georgous children come and visit you on Saturday afternoon???

Secondly, you could have just said, "Randee life does not end when the children leave the nest." I know that life doesn't end when the children leave, because then there is grand children!!!

Peggy said...

Yes, my beautiful daughter brought her equally beautiful children to my house for a brief visit. Baylee looked precious in her sundress and braided pigtails, Jude was handsome in his underwear, and I got to nibble on Chunk's thighs.

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL LOL....what a precious group!