Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Caught In A Mouse Trap

A couple of weeks ago I opened the pantry and noticed mouse droppings. Later, I discovered a tiny chew mark in a new bag of chocolate chips. I informed Robin that we had a mouse visiting our pantry. He immediately set a mouse trap. We checked it daily, but no mouse.

Well, we caught something last night. I opened the pantry to retrieve something I needed while cooking dinner. There was suddenly a loud SNAP and pain in my right foot. It felt like I'd stepped on fragile glass that splintered into my foot on impact. I looked down, expecting to find shards of glass and blood all over my foot. What I found was the mouse trap clinging to my flip-flop. Apparently when I jumped from the shock and pain, the trap let go of my foot but stayed with my shoe.

My thoughts went to Jude who picked up an activated mouse trap in my parents' pantry a few months ago. It also snapped on his fingers and he dropped it right away. He looked somewhat embarrassed, but not necessarily in pain. Now I know the big boy was holding it in. The bite of a trap hurts! It really felt like glass going into my foot.

Once I recovered, Robin and I laughed over it and he's been teasing me about how he caught a big rat. He told me this morning I should blog about the big rat that was caught in our trap. So, here it is, Robin. A laugh once in awhile at my expense is okay. However, there is a pesky mouse still on the loose.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Did you have to change your shorts Sissy?

Peggy said...

Surprisingly, my shorts stayed dry. A few words slipped out though.

angela | the painted house said...

I think that problem only happens when you are laughing, right, Mom?

So the mouse has a sweet tooth?

Anonymous said...

HYSTERICAL!!

I've got 4 annoying cats...shall I send them your way??

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I am laughing so hard. In case you didn't dirty your underwear, I did enough for both of us laughing. Now the bad news, am I going to have a visiting mouse in my house? I do have an edge though, if we put out a trap I know what will happen if I get to close.....

Peggy said...

Cheryl, what happens to one usually happens to another. For the time being, ban mouse traps from your house.

Cristal, we have a foster cat but he's probably too old to mess with mice. Maybe your four can join our foster home until the mice problem is gone. Tell them, though, that I'm not interested in seeing their trophy.

Anonymous said...

Maybe while our cats are helping you with your mouse problem you can help them get along. My two and Mike's two are not making a happy blended family. It has been and still is a nightmare! I'll spare you all the details but one of mine is a big bully and Mike's two are peeing in various places...probably because they're scared to death. Anyone out there have any suggestions on an aggresive cat and/or spraying cats??? PLEASE HELP!!!

I got your books in the mail today. I'm ready to curl up on the couch and read them but I promised Mike I would at least attempt to finish unpacking the boxes this weekend. Maybe having the reading to look forward to will help me get motivated for the boxes.

Peggy said...

Cristal, Allison can tell you how Brian takes care of the peeing problem.

Hope you enjoy the books! Thanks for ordering.

Anonymous said...

Allison, do tell!!

angela | the painted house said...

Cristal...you will cry at the end of the book. It's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Allison, come on tell Cristal what Brian does.

Cristal, so glad you have joined us here at PeggyPoet!

Anonymous said...

kills them

'nuff said

Anonymous said...

Glad to be here, Donna!!

That's what Mike is wanting/threatening to do with the cats.

Peggy, I read your poem "The Other Woman" about alcohol....it was VERY powerful. After the ending I re-read it with a whole new light. You are an amazing writer. Angela is so lucky to come from an artist and a writer. No wonder she is so talented in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

Cristal, we had had enough of our home smelling like pee. It is not the nicest home in the world but it is ours and we were sick to see the kids walking in the areas where we knew Oliver and Kiggy had done their thing in the dining room. We ended up taking up the carpet, pad, tacks, base boards, the bottom 12 inches of sheet rock around the entire room, the insulation and Brian had to sand down the wood behind the walls. He sealed the wood and scrubbed the concrete floors and the smell is finally gone!!!! Brian is still working on getting the room back together again.

I miss my kitties, I still see their shadows as mirages in my mind when I am getting ready in the morning or after the kids go to bed I expect Oliver to mount my leg like he did for so many years and make sweet kitty love to it, but those times are gone. I do love the smell of my house now, no kitty smells!

Peggy said...

Thank you, Cristal! You are so sweet. Angela's talent has surpassed mine. She is an artist and a writer! And much more than that.

Anonymous said...

Allison....All of that work? Oh my goodness!! You're giving me nightmares of what might be to come. I can't imagine having to do all of that. Mike really would kill them. I think his are peeing because they're scared and don't know how to get along with my two. I feel bad for them but geez!! We're sick of all the cleaning we do. It would be nice to come home from work and be able to relax without scrubbing various areas of the house for an hour. I feel for you and Brian!