Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm so Thankful

Much has happened this past year that could have easily taken my focus off the blessings in my life. But God has a way of picking us up, dusting us off, and pointing us forward. I am not claiming to always live what I believe. I get discouraged and my faith wanes. Fortunately, God created us and understands our human frailties. He speaks to us from a multitude of different ways to get our attention back on Him and what matters most. I'm thankful to be a believer in God and divine intervention.


God has blessed me with three outstanding, incredible, and beautiful children. I marvel at the talents of each one, and the inner strength they possess. My chest has swelled with pride so many times through the years, from elementary Christmas plays, to art shows, to honors programs, to choir concerts, to graduations, to weddings, and the births of my nine precious grandchildren. Ron, my engineer. Allison, my soprano. Angela, my artist. These three families continually fill me with unabashed joy.


I'm thankful for Robin and the many ways he offers his love and support. He's there when I have a crisis and talks me though it. He's there when I do too much and insists that I slow down and take a nap. And he's a loving Papa to our grandchildren and I love him dearly for that.


I'm thankful that I can go to my parents' house this Thanksgiving and see both of them. What a blessing to have them and share in their almost 64 years of marriage. It's uncommon in this modern society and I'm thankful that God has blessed our family in this way. I'm thankful for my brothers and my beautiful sister. Donna has been there for me more times than I can count. God created the perfect sister for me and I thank Him for that.


No one could ever have friends as special as mine! Cheryl has been through so much with me and believes in me to an extreme. She is my rock, my confidante, my forever friend. Patty has been by my side for many years, dating back to the 6th grade. She spoils me rotten. During hard times with the business she has showered me with all the things I couldn't get for myself. I love how we are 16 again when we're together. I love these two ladies! And I love the new friends in my life - the beautiful Sharon who fills me with inspiration and comfort, and the Texas Divas group. What a fun bunch of gals who can erase stress lines within minutes.


A few days ago my Mother told me that grandson Callan looks so much like his Grandpa Chezzy. I told her Ashton does, too, and she agreed. I'm thankful that he not only lives on in our hearts, thoughts, and memories, but also in the sweet faces of my grandsons. I'm thankful for the paradise he shared with me for 19 years and the gift of a daughter we shared.


I'm incredibly thankful this season for God's mercy and saving grace. I'm thankful that God can and does take our battered bodies and make them whole. He was there when Clayton and his family needed Him most. He went through the long, painful process with them, and brought them through victoriously. God conquered cancer. He was also there when I had a heart attack and held me in His loving arms. I am writing this post today because God saved my life. To God be the glory and honor forever.


Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. When you can't look beyond your own home to find much to be thankful for, look up and praise God for His presence and that of your family and friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to God and life. It's been real tough for me and family lately and it is good to know God is always there when you need him. Paise the Lord. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, so true......so Thankful for you...

angela | the painted house said...

Beautiful post, Mother. I am thankful that God spared your life, too. We are all blessed.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet and says it all! I love you so much and I can't count all the times you have come through for me and held me close when I was so messed up. You are a great "little" big sister.

Yes time with our family and friends is such a blessing!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the sweet post. I am so thankful for my best mommy ever. I love you and am so greatful for your big healthy heart.