Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Cruisin' the High Seas

Patty and I have returned from a glorious week at sea. We did very little but had a ball doing it.
This is one of the cuter towel animals we found in our cabin nightly. This bunny is all ready for bed. Robin asked me to get him the book that shows how to make them, so the grandchildren better get ready for some interesting towel critters.

M&Ms: don't leave home without them. Patty - being the good friend she is - packed a large bag of these babies for me. I reluctantly gave the rest to our cabin steward on the last day of our cruise.

This is how we spent most of our days, and always fit in a nap or two. We did a lot of reading, crossword puzzles, and more reading. We each completed three books and started on a fourth one. No shows. No pool or hot tub. No formal nights. We didn't even eat in our assigned dining room once! This trip wasn't about entertainment. It was purely relaxation and escape.

We stopped for a little refreshment after browsing the shops on Grand Cayman Island. We were surprised to see we had visitors. A few chickens and roosters pranced back and forth around us, and often blaring out a cock-a-doodle-do when we least expected it.

These pictures are for my high school friend Jan T. and her husband, Ronnie. They love Jimmy Buffitt and attend all his concerts. Well, not just attend. They go there in their beautiful RV and camp out in the parking lot. They set up their Jimmy Buffitt props and have their own little Margaritaville going on there. They have a fun time and are the life of the party.

This is the one in Grand Cayman. I bet Jan's mouth is watering and her ears are itching.


One of our rooster pals who has hearty lungs and a prissy walk.


We were happy to see this shop in Jamaica. Patty loves these Brazilian flip-flops. The price was more attractive than what we've seen online. We walked out of there with a few. After we paid for them, of course.

Another towel animal, this time a dog wearing Patty's sunglasses.

Our shopping treasures! Perfumes, purses, jewelry, and flip-flops. What else is there? This is Patty's bed and the shopping continued after this picture was taken.

This is my bed with my goodies. Dig that gorgeous Guess purse! Patty bought it for me in a Guess store in Cayman Islands. We actually fit in some shopping among all the room service and naps.
OK, the moment of truth. Cheryl, my BB, the cruise was a hoax. Patty and I actually went to Bandera for some R&R. You really believe that, don't you? Would I ever go there without you? I captured this sign in Huntsville on our way back. It's obvious why I had to take this picture. We can still look forward to planning a Bandera Paradise trip for October!

No, Patty doesn't look happy after packing her luggage to go home. Now, we have to make our own coffee! And cook! And clean our own house!
In port at Cozumel. The ship docked next to ours provided a little shade on our balcony.

Room service visited our cabin at least twice a day, but we did venture out to the buffet, snack bar, and pizzeria. Neither of us packed for the evening dinner in the dining room because we just didn't want to mess with it.
Thank you, Patty, for treating me to a trip I will never forget. It is a time in my life when I needed to escape, to rest, to let go. Being lazy never felt so good!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! That looks amazing! Someday I want to go on a cruise!

You mean there were actually M&M's left over?

Anonymous said...

Cristal, I'm with you - so jealous! I need a vacation so bad! I'd even settle for time away with my husband!

Anonymous said...

Now your talking!!! Just being lazy and relaxed. No time schedule, no "have to get dressed for", and no MALES.....Looks wonderful.

I love the Bandera sign, made goose bumps on my arms! We might not have room service, but I promise to serve you coffee....but I don't do towel animals. Instead I will point out the deer at our door step. The best thing of course is just being with my BB. Can't wait to hear more details in October about your trip.

Jan Tucker said...

I'm so glad you had a much needed, wonderful trip. I've checked daily for your update and pictures. Thank you so much for thinking of me and Ronnie to take pics at the Margaritaville in the Cayman Island. You make me feel special. We can't wait for the BuffEtt concert in Frisco on April 18th. It's Five O'Clock Somewhere!!

Anonymous said...

LOL Jan! I'd have a margaritta with you:)

Great pictures. I'm so ready for a vacation, but if I stayed in the room and slept and ate, I'd be as big as a barn! Love the towel animals and live one as well. I'm sure Robin will make us proud. Please get him that book. The kids will love it! He would be an even bigger hit with them than he already is.

Peggy said...

Yes, Cristal, M&Ms left. Not many, but a few.

Yes, Jan, I misspelled Jimmy's last name. Sorry!

Sissy, I did buy the towel book for Robin and he's anxious to get started. He said it would be fun and I'm thinking how neat it would be to buy a gift for a man instead of a boy.