Sunday, March 22, 2009

Workin' the Farm

A group of us kids met at the farm today for a work day. The original plan was to wash windows and hang blinds, but a recent leak in Mother's dining room revealed some serious roof damage. My three brothers, my son and a nephew tackled the roof while Donna and I stayed with the original plan of washing windows. The job for the guys was so extensive that they ended up spending the night in hopes of finishing the job tomorrow. Rita helped Mother get a wonderful meal on the table. I'd like to boast about what good, helpful kids we are, but the truth is that we will wash windows and climb on a roof for one of Mother's meals. That's just the way it is.
Mother had two huge platters of talapia, and made a cole slaw, fried potatoes, and hush puppies. Dessert was her famous chocolate cake and my oatmeal cookies. I don't do fish - even if my Mother cooked it - so she offered to eat my share.

This is proof that I did use a little arm muscle and swiped more than a few windows. Donna and I are hoping that if any streaking was left behind that Mother is as blind to it as we were.

I'm sure Mother is enjoying her five men tonight. She's promised them pecan waffles in the morning. Ryan headed out to get toothbrushes for everyone since no one came prepared to spend the night. I suggested a can of community deodorant while he was at it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, Peggy and Donna do windows......

I'm glad the men were able to stay overnight to finish the roof. It must have been pretty bad.

Jan Tucker said...

Men to the rescue! Some guys will do anything for food. Ha Ha
My roof is fine but my windows need a good cleaning too if Peggy and Donna want to come over to our place! Maybe this can become a chapter in your upcoming book that I'm looking forward to reading. PLEASE??!!

Anonymous said...

Really....I was there. Thank you Peggy for sparing the readers a picture of me:) Food was great but most of all being in the company of my Mom, brothers, sister and nephews was the makings of a great day!

Unknown said...

where is the picture of Donna??? I wish I could have been ther. I had twins duty!

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow all of you next?

Is that one of Dennis's sons on the roof?

You look very domestic BB and yes I want to see Donna's picture!!!

Peggy said...

Donna and I can be hired for a hefty fee. We streak.

I meant to get a pic of Donna, but failed to. Besides, she was puny and still washing windows. That's dedication.

Anonymous said...

What Peggy is attempting to say, but she is so sweet so she won't, is that I was ug-ly.

Anonymous said...

Yes Cheryl, That was Dennis, Ron and Ryan (Dennis' oldest child who looks just like him)

angela | the painted house said...

Glad you helped a sweet lady out! I talked to NanNaw today and told her she was lucky to have 5 kids who love her so much...and her pecan waffles! :) I wish I could visit as much as I would like too!

Donna is ALWAYS pretty!

Anonymous said...

Donna, I don't care what you look like while you're washing my windows.

Anonymous said...

Cristal, what's for lunch? We work for food:)

Thanks Angela.

Anonymous said...

I've got Mike's credit card so whatever you want for lunch is fine with me. :)

Anonymous said...

Me thinks Cristal has a dirty window or two - you ought to see mine! It's amazing what one will do for a sweet mama.