Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Love You, God

As parents and grandparents, we know we are role models for our children. We also know we have a responsibility to teach them right from wrong, what is safe and what is dangerous, and all the big and little things in between. But how often do we pause awhile and learn from them?

I picked my grandson, Thomas, up from school one day this week. He confided to me that he got a yellow warning sticker in class for not paying attention. After he asked me to not tell his parents, that he would do it and he didn't want me to worry about it, we began discussing what school is all about. I told him we are there to learn and that recess and friends are a bonus, but not the main reason we are there.

Then, Thomas told me that his Dad said there is a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, and that he should always listen to the angel. I agreed and offered that if you don't listen to the devil, he gets frustrated and moves on to someone who will. That's when I learned something profound from my 7-year-old grandson. He told me that when a bad word enters his mind, he quickly says, "I love you, God. I love you, God. I love you, God." He repeats this sentence until the bad word disappears. I praised him for a great solution to his problems.

A day later, I had a feeling of resentment flash across my mind. Without much thought, I repeated Thomas's phrase until the moment passed, then asked for forgiveness. It works. It instantly reminds you that you need to dwell on better things, on good things, and let the resentment fade into nothingness. Holding a grudge hurts us, not the object of our resentment. Giving it to God immediately is the best move.

I'm thankful that I can learn from the sweet children around me. Jesus reminds us to have the faith of a child. How trusting and dependent they are on us. And when we least expect it, how much they can teach us when we are open to learning. Get in the habit of saying, "I love you, God" when negativity is present. You'll be surprised at how well it works.

Thank you, Thomas, for teaching Memaw an important lesson. I love God and I love you, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How profound of little Thomas! What an excellent idea. I'm going to try hard to do the same. One of my vices is cussing like a trucker so maybe this will be helpful in putting my potty mouth to rest. And like you said, to use it at any other time.

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea Thomas! I must be in a real funk, I have been 'lovin' God all morning!

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes. That is so sweet, and I'll put it to use too. LOL Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

Thomas I really needed that. Love ya alot little gentleman.