Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Night on the Town

Patty and I enjoyed a delightful evening in Fort Worth with dinner and a concert. We arrived early to make sure we found a parking space, then walked downtown in search of something to eat. We ended up at a corner cafe for chicken salad sandwiches. Yes, it hurt to by-pass Del Friscos and Ruths Chris, but the money we saved on the sandwiches eased the pain a lot.After dinner, it was concert time with Michael Buble! He really put on a show! I so admire young men like him and Josh Groban who aren't afraid to bring back the older tunes, sing words that can actually be understood, and don a real suit and tie. I know I'm showing my age here, but even as a teenager I was conservative in my music. The wild stuff grates on my nerves.

We found Michael to be very charismatic and full of humor. He made us laugh, he made us swoon, he made us clap and tap our foot. And he was very personable. He spotted two young sisters in the audience who were dressed alike in plaid dresses. He commented on it, asked their names, then went to the aisle for a picture with them. As he turned to go back to the stage, a woman he had teased earlier stood up and hugged him, then grabbed his tush with both hands. There was a roar of cheers and laughter. This was an older woman, older than I am, and her husband was with her. Now I don't feel like such a perv.

Of course, a night can't be perfect. That would be asking too much. We all know to never wear a brand new pair of shoes on a day when you plan to walk a lot. My sister gave me a darling pair of Crocs with a wedge heel and they looked so good with my jeans. After walking awhile, I felt blisters coming on, so Patty swapped shoes with me. Thank goodness we wear the same size. It was a few blocks later that Patty began limping. Her blisters were worse than mine. I took my shoes back and we continued to the parking garage after the concert, vowing to break in the next pair of shoes a little at a time.

So, we emerge from the parking garage and I am watching signs that will point me to the interstate. I don't drive downtown in a big city very often. It's on the same scale as a root canal. I finally see the sign I need and try to veer to the left as it instructed, I'm so busy making sure the lane is clear for me to move over that I go straight through a red light. Patty told me quickly that I just ran a red light. I felt like saying, "oh, am I driving?", but instead I jerked my head around to see if we had narrowly missed another car. We hadn't. God was truly watching over us!

Needless to say, we began laughing and wondering if a picture of my car with two grandmas with eyes wide like a deer's in the headlights, will appear in my mailbox. If it does, the night was still worth it. We had a ball. Thank you, Patty, for treating me!

3 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Sorry for the blisters--but the night still sounds like it was fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you haven't had a good experience with your shoes...what a croc!

Glad you had fun and you were safe.

Anonymous said...

So that was you who ran the red light. Should have known. haha