Friday, October 03, 2008

Heart: 3-Month Checkup

My cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health this morning. His nurse took another EKG and he compared it to the one taken in the hospital and told me it was much better. There's still some concern about tension and anxiety and he wants me to see my regular doctor to discuss a change in medication. If the tightness in my chest continues after altering the meds, then we will do another stress test, either the walking one or one done in the hospital. He seems to think that since the tightness eases upon awaking after a good night's sleep that it is tension related.

My other concerns were:

Plavix - the doctor said I only needed it the past three months because of the kind of stents I have. They are non-medicated and my need for Plavix is over. I wanted his opinion on this because my pharmacy has told me I should be on it for life. Not necessary. That's good news since Plavix is pricey stuff.

Dentist - I don't need to be on an anti-biotic before my dental visits. There's no risk right now.

Permanent heart damage - my heart isn't functioning at full capacity and never will. But because of the design of the heart, no one's heart is 100%. I'm at 50 - 55%, but he's pleased with how I'm doing.

Unless there's further tightening or chest pain, I don't go back for six months! Praise the Lord!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you are not on any meds even after a recent heart attack? Fantastic! That is amazing. I'm so thankful that you were told by the doctor's office to get to the hospital. I don't want to think about what would have happened if you were stubborn (not that you ever are:)Love you Sis!!!!!

Peggy said...

Sissy, I'm on aspirins for life, and I take statins for cholesterol and I'm on beta blockers. Those three things are because of the attack. Plus, I'm taking some things on my own, like Omega 3s and some heart-healthy stuff Mother sent to me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you God.

Donna, now that her heart is healthy, WHEN PIGS FLY, on not stubborn right?!!! But we love her in any way, shape or form.

I'm so glad for the clean bill of health. I couldn't make it without my BB

SEE YOU FRIDAY!!!!!

angela | the painted house said...

I'm so happy to hear the good report on your heart! I worry about you and want that corazon of yours to beat for a long time.

Cheryl, are you coming to Texas?

Peggy said...

YES, CHERYL IS COMING TO TEXAS!!!! They will be attending a wedding and will set aside Friay to have dinner with us. I can't wait!!! This is wonderful news!!!

Anonymous said...

Excuse the pun, but MY heart is beating faster from excitement....

Anonymous said...

Why couldn't we have a girls night out while Cheryl is here? Why? Why? Why?

Barbara said...

So glad to hear you're doing well heart wise! Continue to take care of yourself. The cruise and trip to Bandera sound great!

Anonymous said...

SUCH GOOD NEWS!!! I'm very happy you're ok and will be ok. I'm still surprised though that you won't be needing the Plavix. But I would trust the doctor.

Congrats on you good health! No more surprises, ok?!

Sherri Campbell said...

Man Peg!! My husband (who also had a heart attack while we were on vacation) ended up with 40% functioning. He experienced some major damage. They told me he may not make it - and put him on a heart pump for 18 hours, to rest it before doing the surgery. That was scary but as with you - GOD INTERVENED - and he's doing pretty well. You are one amazing lady!!!