Friday, August 14, 2009

We Love You, Rita, But........

My sister-in-law Rita has been a treasured part of our family for many years. Few people are as sweet and thoughtful, as family-oriented, as tender-hearted as Rita. She is a mighty prayer warrior, a listening ear, and a great source of support for me. We all love her dearly. So why the But in my title?

I just learned of a side of Rita that frightens me. I'm concerned about her mental stability. I worry about her safety. I'm wondering if she is all girl or some super woman in disguise. This is what happened to cause my concern.

Recently Rita and her dog Lewis were walking the trails on her wooded property. They do this daily and it's always worried me. There are all kinds of varmints in the woods. This is a time of peace and solitude for Rita while I'd be on the lookout for anything that moved. Well, they were strolling along when they happened upon a coral snake. A coral snake, people! Rita takes the time to recite "red and yellow kill a fellow" and quickly determined that the red and yellow bands did indeed meet. It was poisonous. She and Lewis take off running for the house.

I would have, too! And once I reached the house I would have locked every door and boarded every window and rushed to shower off the weebee-jeebees. So I was shocked to hear Rita say that she rushed home for the camera. The camera?

"Well, I knew no one would believe me unless I took a picture of that coral snake," she told me.

She grabs her camera and she and Lewis head back into the woods and find the snake not far from where they had left it. Our little shutterbug just began snapping away. She has proof now of her encounter with a coral snake whose red and yellow bands meet and whose mouth is full of venom. I just stared at her.

"Coral snakes have a very small mouth," she informed me. "They would have to get a finger or the tip of an ear in order to bite."

That's it? You felt safe with a poisonous snake with a small mouth? You were concerned that no one would believe you if you didn't take pictures? You got away from the wretched thing, only to go back to it and have it say "cheese" for you? Oh, my sweet Rita! You terrify me!

I wouldn't care if I was believed or not. I wouldn't have walked in the woods in the first place, and especially not go back for a second look. Having a dog with me wouldn't be much consolation either. The fact is that I am scared of snakes no matter where they are or who or what is with me. I begin shaking involuntarily when I see one. Their looks disgust me, their moves send shivers down my spine. They are totally repulsive.

So, yes, I have to ask. Rita, are you crazy?

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Ewww, Rita! You are a brave one! I'm like my momma: no snakes for me, poisonous or not!

She needs to email you the photo so you can post it on your blog. We need the proof!

Jan Tucker said...

A good snake is a dead snake, poisonous or not. Sorry, I can't stand them either. BUT, I still want to see the picture!! You are so brave, Rita and I can't believe your dog didn't bark and scare it away. Maybe it had the heebie jeebies too! When I went back to the house, it would have been to change my underwear, not get a camera! LOL

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU RITA, BUT I CANT STAND SNAKES.......PATTY

Donna said...

You go girl! Love you Rit!!!!