Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ahhhh, Granddaughters

I got to spend some time with Baylee and Sophia while their mom took Jude in for his six-year checkup. We played with toys and read some books. Sophia tried to repeat each word I said when pointing to a picture. She did quite well! Now that she is mobile, she is all over the place. She had such fun pushing the old popcorn popper toy that had been bought for Candice when she was a toddler. Papa and I would pretend that she was running into our toes and she would giggle so hard. Music to my ears. She also spoke "Papa" very clearly.

Baylee always has fun playing with Papa. Rough play. We've had to remind them that Papa is old and not to be so rough. He really laughs at that. Baylee was holding his hands and walking up his legs and stomach. When he had to leave to run an errand, she wanted to do it with me. I told her my stomach was still sore inside from when the doctor cut me open to fix a problem. She asked to see the scar and I raised my top. She ran her fingers over the thick 8-inch scar.

"Yeah, he cut you alright!"

That from a three-year-old! Am I the only one amazed or is this kid too smart? Her vocabulary has always been extensive.

Jude came in the door sporting a royal blue bandage on his arm where a nurse had drawn blood. My heart broke for him. I've always hated those doctor visits for my kids or grandkids that involved a needle. I used to ask my mother to take my kids in and she'd assure me that she loved them and me, but she wasn't going to be the bad guy. Now, I understand. This Memaw won't be the bad guy either.

So, I get the fun part. I babysit and spoil, and there are no needles (except for mending) in my house.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baylee enjoyed reading this with me. It reminded her of all the questions she had for me about the doctor cutting memaw. Thanks for doing that for me.

Anonymous said...

Baylee is hilarious!!

Sophia is walking? How old is she now? She was just a doll that day I sat with all of them in the car. I really expected her to start crying when Mommy left but she didn't. At all. We played peek-a-boo and blew kisses to each other. She couldn't have been any better!

Anonymous said...

Neat kids! I'm sure Jude was wearing the arm band with pride. I'd love to hear Sophia's laugh! As for Baylee, she is not at all impressed with herself. I would be. (the old knee slap)

Anonymous said...

There the best! I love you

Anonymous said...

Sorry, THEY ARE the best

angela | the painted house said...

So fun!

That popcorn popper toy sure has gotten a lot of use!