Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soaking up the Rays

Usually these two guys aren't this chummy, but they are sharing a patch of warm sunlight on the floor of the dining room. I've seen them in there separately but never together this close. Weasil, the gray boy, has attitude. He's moody and grumpy, and wants it all on his terms. Parker, our orange boy, has a history of being a cuddle bug with other cats in the house, but he's learned that Weasil is no social butterfly.It took awhile, but Weasil finally likes me. He will warm my side during the night, rest his head on my arm, and welcome any rubs I might give as long as they don't exceed the number he wants. If they do, I get bit. He loves Robin as much as Weasil is capable of loving anyone or anything. But Robin can pull a nasty growl from him, too, by just being there. He merely tolerates Parker. Sometimes. He will sneak up to sniff Parker's butt, then hiss when Parker turns to investigate. When Parker returns the favor and sniffs Weasil's butt, Weasil will hiss again. It's not easy to please the Weasil.
Now, Parker is loving and will let me pet him as long as I want. He snuggles in my lap or stretches along my legs and falls asleep. He likes his people. He doesn't bite the hand that feeds him. But even though Parker is docile and sweet, he's getting fed up with Weasil's attitude. He's beginning to chase and taunt Weasil. Maybe Parker just wants a playmate. Robin thinks he's being mean. I have to remind Robin often that they are cats and are doing what cats do. They aren't children to be reasoned with even though they are our boys.
So considering the varied personalities of these two guys, I was surprised to see them peacefully sharing a bit of sunshine. George Clone-y, the newcomer and our black boy, has not been fully accepted by the other two and was not prepared to share the limelight for this picture. He'll adjust very well soon enough, but he will never be a favorite of Weasil's. It's just not in the gray boy's nature.

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, Parks!!! I love seeing his sweet face there. LOVE YOU!

Donna said...

We should get Weasel and our cat, Abby, together. I believe they are a match!

That was probably the first ray of sunshine they had seen in a while, so they were taking full advantage of it.

cheryl said...

If animals could talk! Weasel looks like he is saying a BBBBAAAAADDDDD word. LOL then there is sweet Parker giving that HUH????? look... I love it. Boy, animals make me smile.. :)

Jan Tucker said...

Purrrrrrrrrrr. Even Weasel can share a warm ray of sunshine. He's got Cattitude!!