Thursday, September 17, 2009

On Stage or Backstage?

Lately we've been getting some insight into the personalities of my grandchildren. Often it takes that monumental step into the classroom for the real view. Is it scary? Is it a thrilling experience? Are you backstage in the shadows directing the lights, sound and camera? Or are you on stage with that dazzling smile and flashy clothes and ready to perform your heart out?

Unfortunately, I was backstage. I mean really backstage. My shyness was crippling during my childhood. I can vividly remember moving to a new home and new school district. I entered the 5th grade knowing no one. I was sent home the first day with a headache and vomiting. I stayed home a day or two, then went back to school, only to be sent home with a headache and vomiting. I wasn't sick. I was terrified. I actually believed that if I begged hard enough my parents would let me quit school. In the 5th grade. Well, I begged to no avail, something I'm thankful for now even if I wasn't then.

When the teen years arrived, so did an interest in boys and a new kind of shyness. There were two instances when I was finally asked out by someone I had a ginormous crush on. I'm over the top, butterflies and all, when the crucial moment arrives when it's obvious that this gorgeous guy is going to kiss me. "No offense," I plead, "but I gotta puke." I bolt for the bathroom, knowing I've ruined what could have been a very romantic moment. The second time my nervous stomach betrayed me, I had to ask Adonis to pull over to the side of the road. And do it now!

My own loving mother passed this tendency down to me and I passed it begrudgingly to Angela. Thankfully Angela outgrew it a lot sooner than I did. But there were times when school frightened her and her daddy would call her "Peggy Lee" because he recognized the pattern. Her daddy, by the way, was the on-stage-performer-type.

Now it appears that Angela has a miniature Angela Renee in her little Juliet. This inheritance stuff is not always good. Being painfully shy is not fun. So Juliet has come up with a number of excuses to try to get out of going to pre-school. She doesn't feel good, the chairs are uncomfortable, her shoes don't fit, not any of them fit. She cries when she arrives at school, although she appears happy at the end of the day and anxious to show off her school work. I feel her pain. I really do. I have been there.

This week I learned just how much of a performer Thomas is. A few weeks ago he tried out for the solo part in the school musical program. We were excited that he got the part. I was especially proud because of my own experience and knowing how scared I would have been had I had to sing a solo part in the 3rd grade. I was relieved that Thomas hadn't inherited the awful shyness, although he has shown from an early age that he is very social and outgoing. Well, this week he was with his dad in the small waiting room while the oil was changed in the truck. Three other people were waiting, too. Thomas stood in the middle of the room and addressed them all.

"I'm going to sing a solo in our school program and not only will I be singing in front of the whole school, but all the parents too. Would you like to hear it?"

Yes, they would like to hear it. Thomas' song was followed by applause that encouraged him on.

"Would you like to hear it again?" He commenced to singing it a second time.

This story had me rolling in the floor with laughter. And relief. How much easier life will be for him than it was for his backstage grandma. Ron said Thomas performs like he's Allison's son instead of his. So the inheritance thing works both ways, good and bad. Without a doubt, we have three outstanding performers who are more than comfortable on stage: Candice, Thomas and Jude. The rest of them perform beautifully, just not as comfortably. That will come in time.

The beauty of all of this is that we need our backstage and on stage performers for the show to go on. All of these nine precious treasures have an important part to play.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! You need to be writing more. I miss it!

I don't know if I was shy or just awkward. Probably awkward since no one asked me out in high school. So sad:(

Jan Tucker said...

LOL. Tell Thomas that when I was his age, I used to sing and dance to people in the grocery store! Back in the old days, Mother left me at the magazine rack, do her shopping and pick me up on the way out. I was always entertaining folks when she got there. I should have been in drama in high school but couldn't since I was in the DE program and went to school 1/2 day and to work the other 1/2. (Austin Shoes next to JCPenney's in Plymouth Park. I told Maisye this Wed. and she said 'Granny, you are so crazy, BUT I love you anyway!"