Thursday, May 10, 2007

It's Allison & Brian's Birthdays!


My beautiful daughter and her husband have a very unique situation in that they share the same birthday. When they started college there was a gathering of the students to get better acquainted. They were separated into groups according to the month they were born. As they mixed and mingled with others who were born in May, they discovered they had the same birthday and possibly discovered each other then too.


Robin and I had the honor of babysitting their three precious children while they went to dinner to celebrate their mutual birthdays. This picture of them was taken that night as they prepared to leave for dinner.


I didn't have the privilege of raising Brian so I can't share any sterling moments from his childhood. I will say that I admire the man he is, I love his sense of humor, and I will forever be thankful for the loving husband and father he has become. He lives with four people who are so dear to me and I feel confident knowing he is with them. Thank you, Brian, for your part in this beautiful family.


May 10 stands out so vividly in my mind because on that day I welcomed my first girl. At the time, I thought I would just have the two kids so it was important to me that a daughter followed my son. I awoke in recovery and my doctor was there checking on me. He asked if I'd learned the gender of my baby. I told him I hadn't. He said, "you have a little girl". World War III could have erupted, my hair could have fallen out as unsightly warts covered my entire body and it would still be the most glorious day of my life! "I get to buy pink!", I squealed.


Allison continued being a joy all the days that followed. Not only was she a beautiful blonde, blue-eyed doll, but she was funny, easy-going, agreeable, and so easy to raise. She has never given me a moment of concern as to the direction her life was going. If we said no, she accepted it. If we gave advice and instruction, she lived by it. One of the greatest compliments I've heard her give me when she was talking to someone else was, "I loved it when my parents grounded me because I got to spend the weekend with them, doing what they were doing." How many teenagers can say that with any conviction? Those words meant the world to me and still do.


Today, Allison is, of course, still a beautiful woman inside and out. I admire her strength, I admire her as a mother to my grandchildren, and I admire her character. Her children are so fortunate to have such a loving, fun mother. The rest of us are fortunate, too, to have her in our lives. She's so family-oriented and her nurturing extends to us all. I thank God for her and for blessing my life with her sunny presence.


Happy birthday, Allison and Brian. May this special day find you happier than ever, and counting your blessings for all God has showered upon you. Just as we, your family, praise God for the wonderful people you have always been and continue to be. Have the best birthday ever, with all my love.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Brian and Randee.

Now, what ever caused Randee to be grounded? I think you did it on purpose so you would get to spend the weekend with her. I know I chose to many weekends with her myself. She was so much fun to have around. Never gave me an ounce of trouble. I'll never forget the time we were driving to a wedding of a friend of mine. I was looking in the rear view mirror to make sure my makeup was okay and she said to me "I'm going to be just like you when I grow up". I asked her what that was and she said "prissy". I believe she accomplished that goal. She has always been such a beautiful girl and a caring and special person. I'm lucky to have her in my life. Love you Randee.

Anonymous said...

Randee I wish I could have known you when you were small. I always hear what a easy going child you were. I remember your mom telling me once you asked for a pair of shoes and she said she could buy you them right now. You told her OK....I take the boys to buy shoes and tell them I can't afford $100 shoes and they say "WHY NOT?"

You have such a wonderful sense of humor. Sometimes I will remember something you said and start laughing all over.

Happy Birthday Sweetie...I love you

angela | the painted house said...

Happy Birthday,you two! Yeah, Randee and I each had a different approach to shopping with Mom. If I received a "no" to my request, I commenced the grand brat fit. I'm glad Mom got one easy going child!

I hope you both eat something sweet today. Love you both!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU BOTH

..sorry i havent been on often, i cant log on! its so much trouble getting on and my camera cord disappeared so i cant get new pictures on!

-Candice

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, maybe you should be doing te family newsletter. Can't wait to see you at the reunion! Love you, Lou
p.s. I agree about the children's pics, the so called 'mental patients' should be permently torazined!