Thursday, May 17, 2007

Directions For Dummies

I realize that manufacturers need to cover their back side, but that often leads to a ridiculous list of dos and don'ts for their products. I'm referring to the instruction manual that came with my new can opener from Weasil, the cat, for Mother's Day. Robin was reading some of it to me and we were laughing over it. Yes, we need a life.

Did you know a can opener is not supposed to be placed inside a hot oven? Hmmm. I've never considered doing it, but now that you mention it . . . . A nice melted plastic base with metal garnish and perhaps a finishing touch of mushroom sauce? Serving up that dish would entitle me to "Homemaker of the Year".

Do you suppose there are people who would think it was a neat idea to put their can opener in a baking dish and slide it into the oven? I admit there are a lot of wacky people in the world, so who knows? Personally, I prefer eating what was in the can that the can opener opened, instead of the can opener itself.

Another bit of genius instructed the consumer to not try to open an aerosol can with the can opener. Come on. I just wanted that last little drop of Lysol to disinfect the cutting blades on the can opener. No harm done.

To be honest, if I were making small kitchen appliances such as a can opener, it would never occur to me to tell someone not to bake it. Where does that idea come from? And, I've never considered opening an aerosol can once it stopped spraying. It's pitched in the trash and added to my grocery list.

Of course, lawsuits are rampant in this country and a manufacturer must assume we're all idiots. That's the only explanation I can find for such bizarre instruction manuals. At least reading through it was entertaining and I just might have found a new genre of interest. Or maybe it's given me an idea for dinner tonight. A change would be welcome.

6 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Alas, there has been some ding-dong who put his can opener in the oven in anger after being sprayed in the eye by the aerosol can he just tried to open with the perpetrating can opener--THIS warranted your bizarre set of instructions.

And, did you know, that coffee is served HOT at McDonald's?

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing. I was reading aloud to the "dummies" in my household. I say that as Zumar was just drinking water out of a soup ladle. As he dribbled all over the floor he said he has always wanted to do that....so they are REALLY out there. Thank goodness I laugh, otherwise I would be one of those "dummies".

Lol, and Angela your right! He (and you notice I say HE) was probably ticked off at the aerosol!

Thank you girls, I needed that laugh!

P.S. Zumar is now taking a pointed toothpick and told me to watch him turn it in his mouth with his tongue. Gee Whiz....of course it hurts when it sticks in you lip.....duhhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

send it to jay leno.

angela | the painted house said...

why haven't you posted your new poem here? It is PeggyPOET! It was touching and so personal for the Osters. Another winner!

Peggy said...

The poem is to be a surprise, although I'm sure they don't check my blog. We'd have to get Dee's permission. Thank you, Punkin!

angela | the painted house said...

I'd like to request a new post, please.