Sunday, February 25, 2007

Perogies Anyone?



About a month ago my son, Ron, asked for perogies for his 38th birthday. Mind you, perogies are a lot of work. I considered this request and came to the conclusion that since I hadn't made perogies for him since his 30th birthday, it was really not an unreasonable request.


So, like a dutiful and loving mother, I busied myself in the kitchen for hours and toiled over 56 perogies. Making the dough and filling are the easy part. It becomes time-consuming when each perogie is cut out, filled, and the edges crimped with a fork. They rest on clean towels until the last one is made, then they are dropped into boiling water. Once removed from the water they are placed in a bowl and covered with melted butter and onions. A lot of work, but oh yum! Robin and I sneaked a few to eat with our smothered steak for dinner. The rest will be taken to work tomorrow for Ron, along with a carton of sour cream.


His birthday is three days away so I'm sure I'll be back in the kitchen on Tuesday night for homemade peanut butter cookies with extra peanuts. No, Ron isn't spoiled, he's just one of my kids and I love them all very much. Besides, making perogies isn't so bad when they only have to be made every 8 years.




7 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Wish I could help Ron celebrate by eating some of those!

Anonymous said...

Just like grandmas. Or maybe not, you didn't hide that inevitable single black hair amongst perogies, Now that is just like grandmas.

++Note: This is not a recipe from my nannaw. The grandma I speak of is the one from Brazil, may she rest in peace. The hair in my nanaw's food is white. Kidding.

Peggy said...

I certainly hope I didn't leave a dyed hair in the perogies! Now that I'm advancing in years and my eyesight is getting poor, I regret being so hard on her. Oh well, what do you expect? She was a mother-in-law. No comment Brian and Clayton.

Anonymous said...

So true about how when we are young we can't understand our older folks and what they are going through. It all comes home!
Remember Angie and Randee - always let me know when my lipstick, nail polish or blush is too much! I believe I asked this of one or two of my nieces. Remember, you are all in my will. I wouldn't get excited.

Unknown said...

I'm late with my comment but I remember well making homemade noodles for Tony (recipe from my mother in law) and absolutely Tony's heaven sent meal. By the time I got done with all the work, I was on my way "down under" for all the bad thoughts I was thinking while mixing, rolling, looking at flour and patties all over the kitchen. Oh well like they say: Flour $5, Eggs $6, My Time: all day...the smile on your loved ones face making their special dish....PRICELESS...

Anonymous said...

SYED??????? how did that happen, that little piece above was written by:

Peggy said...

Syed? Are you confused, Cheryl?