Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mystery Case Files

As if I needed another computer game to keep me chained to the desk, Cheryl introduced me to the world of Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspects. I've always enjoyed hidden picture puzzles. When Angela was small and had a subscription to Highlights magazine, I grabbed it first and looked for the page with the hidden pictures. Such a simple challenge, but I found it fun.

Robin has complained more than once that I spend too much time in the back room on the computer. Now, I set my laptop on his coffee table in his den and play Mystery Case Files. He even joins in and points out hidden objects that I'm trying to find. This is fairly unusual since Robin isn't into any kind of games. He enjoys this game very much, to the point of having me order Mystery Case Files: Huntsville, which we fell in love with after playing a free trial game. But although he likes the game, he isn't obsessed. He knows when to stop. I don't.

If I'm not at work, cooking dinner or sleeping, you will find me searching for all kinds of fun stuff in this game. I will play it over and over. Cheryl told me the game is very good exercise for the brain since it involves so much memory. So I tell myself it's a healthy form of exercise that my body needs. I can pretty much zoom on through and find everything, but I do get stumped often since some new items are on the list to find. It's safe to say I spend hours exercising my brain. I even exercise in my sleep. Even in my dreams I'm looking for frogs, a lizard, or an artichoke. It's pretty bad when you close your eyes for sleep and see the puzzle, except, of course, if you are taking your mental workout to the limit.

I'm happy I've found a game that Robin and I enjoy doing together. Many times we will sit together on the floor in front of the coffee table and look for objects. Soon, however, Robin gets bored and turns his attention back to the TV. I wish I had his self-control.

One could say I've earned this time to do what I enjoy. There were many years when my time was divided and stretched with family. Now that the pace has slowed, I still feel overly indulgent. There are more productive things I could be doing. I have two books started that I want to finish writing. I could clean baseboards and closets. I could exercise other parts of my body that are being neglected while I stimulate my mind.

More than likely, though, I will wear out Prime Suspects while waiting on Huntsville to be delivered. My body might be entering a vegetative state, but my mind is sharp as a tack. Happy playing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun and challenging.

Now, are you saying Robin has self control over the TV?

Peggy said...

Uh, no self-control where the TV is concerned. Also, he sees no simularities between his addiction and mine. Hmmm.

angela | the painted house said...

Donna, I was going to ask the very same thing!