Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, XII

The dishwasher: Every woman I know has a certain way she likes her dishwasher loaded. We know which way provides the most optimum use of the space. The silverware basket is obvious, but the other racks and dividers take some creative nesting.

Nesting is the key word. We place the items in such a way to make room for the next plate or bowl. I have certain places I use just for dinner plates, or just for dessert plates, or just for bowls. The lower rack is for coffee mugs and glasses. Dishes don't even fit right in those racks. So, we know how much will fit into the dishwasher, right down to the last fork.

Of course, this system is interrupted if anyone else opens the dishwasher to place something inside. Often I have to rearrange things because a mug might be placed where two plates would fit if loaded correctly. Robin finds this system of nesting pretty comical.

He's asked me why should he bother putting something in the dishwasher if I'm going to turn around and place it on another rack. I told him I'd rather do that than see the dishes left in the sink. Dishes left in the sink are saying, "I'm too lazy to put this away and I want someone else to do it for me."

While I was recovering from surgery I happened into the kitchen when Robin was filling the dishwasher. He was helping me out so I forced myself to keep my mouth shut. I did, but my facial expression must have been screaming at him for he laughed and told me he knew his "system" was killing me. It was. I saw wasted space that could have been utilized if nesting had been done.

A few days later I was getting some trash out of my car and placed it in the carport trash can. Robin stopped me and told me when a liner isn't in the can, don't use it. He went on to explain that he'd cut holes in the bottom of the can so it could drain the rain water. Without the liner, my trash might go through the holes. I asked if that was his equivalent of dishwasher nesting. He laughed and said no, probably because his method made more sense.

I may be picky about my dishwasher, but I believe men are just as picky when it comes to their territory. Want proof? Go to the garage and borrow a tool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

James doesn't put dishes in the dishwasher nor does he put liners in trash cans. How DO I cope?

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog.....I feel more human that I am not alone, instead of hearing what a fanatic I am when it comes to my kitchen....all other kids have kitchen duty, but mine NO....I know I need to set down the rules but since I said "no thanks" the house is a little more peaceful. Waiting for 2 hours just to wash a pan has put me on Prozac! I do understand Robins quandary though. When someone doesn't put a trash bag in the can or basket, I get to then WASH the dumb thing....AM I GETTING ON ANYONES NERVES HERE..... Next week discussion....bathrooms????? lol

Peggy said...

I line the indoor trash cans and since Robin empties the outdoor cans I figured he could do them any way he chooses. And, ladies, we are in this together. Cheryl, you can write the blog about bathrooms on my site. Robin's good about bathrooms, but look for the subject of "laundry" to post soon!

angela | the painted house said...

I agree, Mother, the improperly loaded dishwasher drives me crazy. Shouldn't even the dumbest animal know how to efficiently load a dishwasher. Don't even get started on loading things where water won't even touch it or, conversely, loading a bowl or cup up where it collects water. Duh!