Monday, December 04, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, XI

Thermostat wars: It amazes me how a small mechinism that controls the climate can come between two self-proclaimed adults. Winter is a time of marital tension in our home. Robin raises the thermostat to a sweltering 72+ degrees and I lower it to a bearable (perhaps chilling) 67 or less. Most of these adjustments are done in secret. Of course, the truth is soon out when one of us starts complaining that it's hot or cold.

Naturally, we both think we have valid reasons for our differing opinions. Robin says he's always been cold-natured and should be warm and comfortable in his own home. I argue that since I pay the electric bill we should lower the thermostat and dress warmer. Wear winter clothes in winter? You've got to be kidding!

So, here comes Robin in a short sleeve T shirt jacking up the thermostat. I ask where his long sleeves are. He doesn't want to wear long sleeves. I ask why he isn't wearing layers on a day when it has dropped to below freezing. I still haven't received a straight answer for that one, unless "You aren't my mother" explains it.

I, on the other hand, am happy to get back into my winter clothes after having tired of my summer ones. And I think it's ridiculous to be hot in winter clothes because the house is too warm. How about lowering the thermostat so that winter clothes feel comfortable, and save a little on the electric bill? What a novel idea!

Ah, but the war continues. I'm not trying to be cruel. I honestly believe there are ways to control the unnecessary "over the top" electric bill and still prevent frost bite. If I were to see Robin in layers and shivering, then by all means raise the temp! But when I see him in short sleeves I have to assume the day feels warm to him and he saw no need to wear anything heavier. Does this make sense? Or does it make more sense to pay over $600 a month to stay in summer T shirts?

I might have a partial solution to this annual battle. Now that we are mortgage free, I could pass the electric bill to Robin to pay. My nasal passages will still dry out but he will have to pay to wear those T shirts. Or, he might get a clue once the bucks are coming out of his pocket.

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

We keep ours at 67 degrees, or else pay $500 every two weeks for gas. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Surprise, surprise! He should dress warmer. How does he make it out there at the deer lease?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if its really the temp in the house or having to come to terms that maybe, just maybe you might be the logical one on this!

Peggy said...

Sissy, while hunting Robin has the common sense to dress warm out in the elements. It's a different story in a heated house.

Cheryl,they will never come to terms with it!

Angela, the cost of living is really high in NC. May I suggest . . . Texas?