Monday, December 04, 2006

Honest Abe

Patty and I began another slumber party weekend by dining at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Since I was short on one dollar bills, when it came time to pay I handed two $20s to our waitress. The bill was only just over $20 but I needed the ones to leave a tip. Imagine my surprise when I counted my change! I had the $19 and the few cents change, but also under the ticket was my two $20s. Ah ha! Not only do I get a free meal, but I get an extra bit of cash for my wallet.

As luck would have it, the "good" in me surfaced and I flagged down the waitress. When I handed her the money she hugged me and told me she loved me. Since she's been waiting on me for years I guess she felt comfortable enough to show her gratitude in that way.

Actually, "good" runs in our family. Allison was at an ATM machine recently and noticed the previous transaction hadn't been closed and she was asked if she wanted to withdraw money. Being a daughter of mine, of course she punched the "no" button and someone else's card was given to her. She went to a teller's window and turned in the lost card. How many people would have taken advantage of the situation and considered Christmas shopping a done deal? That is, unless the unfortunate soul stumbled upon my ATM card.

Being honest is not a lost virtue afterall. If the Golden Rule was always followed, crime would be a thing of the past. Consider how many police would then be on welfare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aren't we just the picture of honesty. Now would the situation be differant if you didn't go to mariano's once a week and if the ATM camera wasn't on my face in my ever-cool mini-van?

Peggy said...

Trust me, we're really "good".

Anonymous said...

You both are good citizens. Each outcome made someone's day and I believe the two individuals are thankful for people like you. I don't believe, Dee, that you even thought about the camera -- but it made for a good blog comment. Love you, Sissy and Randee!