Friday, July 21, 2006

The Perfect Wife

My daughters will probably feel like slapping my hand (and I probably deserve it) but I will share this experience anyway. I came home from work yesterday and right after Happy Hour (our coffee/sharing time) I cooked dinner. Sometimes we have to go the extra mile in a marriage and dinner is my job and Robin gets to enjoy the yard and pool duties.

I made beef patties smothered in a savory mushroom gravy. I added a nice salad, mashed potatoes and corn (I know, too much starch, but at 7:30 pm after working all day, who cares, right?). By the time I get the kitchen cleaned up (yes, I cook and clean, but I don't want yard and pool duties), Robin walks in and asks if I have the ingredients to bake a cake. I suggested other, easier sweets, but he had his heart set on a cake. I made a cinnamon nut cake and spooned the batter into cupcake papers. While I'm working away in the kitchen at 9:00 pm he walks in again and asks if I'm getting tired of him and do I still love him. I remind him that I'm baking a cake late at night after a full day, and I think it shows that I love him.

The cupcakes are finally done and I'm relaxing at my computer (he calls it my lover, but that's another story). He comes in and announces that he ate 4 cupcakes! I asked if he really ate that many. He said, "yes, I told you I wanted cake!"

That proved it to me and I didn't begrudge the time spent in the kitchen. Actually, since he stopped smoking on June 5, his appetite has improved and he's getting some meat on his bones. I'm very proud of him and if I have to do extra to keep him satisfied, I will go that mile.

Now, be honest, Allison and Angela, you have also gone the distance for the sake of your marriage. We all have. We just need to make sure it doesn't become a habit.
"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and just when we think we have them figured out......

Anonymous said...

I can't say that I have. I should have learned from the master, but missed that lesson.

angela | the painted house said...

Mmm...I remember those beef patties!

What a lucky man! Yes, I have given in to indulging my man. I think making chocolate banana crepes after a long day of kids and cooking constitutes as spoiling!