Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, A New Series

Here I hope to explore the vast differences between men and women. In this one area, God's sense of humor is shown more than in any other. These two creatures who are such total opposites are expected to cohabitate within the same walls. That is laughable. I'm sure God's purpose was to teach patience, humility, compromise, understanding, self-denial, servitude, acceptance, and all the other sterling qualities that make us Christ-like. It's still laughable.

I've been accused of being a male basher. In truth, there are annoying tendencies that are common to both sexes. I don't like the games women play, or the rush of tears that flow in an effort to get their own way. I don't like their vanity that keeps them primping long after the husband is ready to go somewhere. I'm guilty of that trait, but it doesn't mean I like it. I wish I could get a buzz cut, throw out all makeup, and go on with my life as if nothing needed attention. It ain't gonna happen. So, yes, there are things that bother me about men and women and I admit that since I'm a woman I tend the focus more on the negative traits in men.

But just as God has a sense of humor, it's safe to say that we should learn to look at our spouses and find the humor in some of their words and actions. This is where acceptace comes in. The sooner we accept the fact that there are differences and we are to live with them, the easier it will be to survive the turbulent waters on a ricketty raft called marriage.

Feel free to share your own experiences and how you sought to discover the humor. You know you have them. We're all in this together. I'm certainly not qualified to be a marriage counselor. My only hope is to show you that you aren't alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian asks me, as he is holding Baylee to take her up-stairs to put her to bed, "Does she need a diaper change?"

Breath in, breath out

angela | the painted house said...

Here's one...yesterday we had lunch at a friend's house. I fed the kids first, then watched the kids while Clayton ate (taking them for a walk, etc, so Clayton could relax, visit, and eat.). Finally, I get a plate of now cold food. I sit down hoping to relax, too, and join conversation. Before I know it Juliet is crawling all over me, trying to flip my plate. I ask Clayton if he remembers his pleasant meal, and he says..."I can't help it if she has a mommy obsession right now!"

Okay, but I am still trying to picture you with a buzz cut and clean face!

Anonymous said...

My biggest complaint......I have three men in this house and I have NEVER seen three messier people...messier is a kinder way to say three Pigs. I have tried just leaving things alone until someone yells uncle, but I truly believe they think the messier it is the better it is, like a fine wine firmenting.....but then they shame me. When I get back from a week with my best buddy, I walked in the house with them thinking they have done such a terrific job of keeping things neat. God forgive me for my evil thoughts. I walk into the house and it is sprayed down so thick with room deoderizer it knocks you out. The kitchen looks so so but just open the dishwasher and you know it has just been filled. Food one week old on the plates and placed in such a way water would never reach. Thats just a small example. I won't get into the bathroom that three men use.... Then I turn around and all three are smiling as though I am to leap with delight at such a good job done......and of course, being a woman...she says THANK YOU.....