Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, I

The Bikini issue. I wore a bikini for the first time in my life at the ripe age of 45. Prior to that, it had either been a one-piece (after those child-bearing years) or the cute hip-hugger two-piece with the sweet little boy legs that were all the rage when I was a teenager. When I finally dropped some weight in my 40s I felt pretty good in my one-piece bathing suit. I could finally slip into one and not want to cover myself with a beach towel. I was comfortable. Then Robin entered my life.

Let me point out here that Robin is a very shallow person. He admits it. Not only does he admit it, he's very proud of it. You can have a heart of gold, a character above reproach, a mind that can discuss any topic in great detail, and he will only be concerned with how you look in a bikini. So, of course, I was introduced to the bikini. Okay, I agreed to wear one for him in the privacy of our own backyard pool. Then came hotel pools, and the beach. I finally got comfortable with it and figured I wasn't too old yet to refuse and disappoint him.

Things have changed. I'm now 56 and long for the comfort and extra cloth that comes with a one-piece suit. I want to enjoy being 56 with no expectations that might be placed on a twenty-year-old. I want the bikini to disappear. Yes, things have changed, but Robin hasn't caught up. He sees nothing wrong with strolling the beach while I can hardly breathe from sucking my stomach in so much. He doesn't care that when I sit down on a lounging chair that my stomach sits in my lap. He swears he doesn't see what I see. I'm flattered that he's still proud of me and enjoys how I look in a bikini. And as shallow as he is, I know he'd be honest with me if my appearance embarrassed him, though he would be subtle about it for he, too, understands we are different.

In my mind, the bikini issue should no longer be an issue. My cousin Linda sent me a cartoon of two elderly women talking on a park bench. One woman said something to the effect that when she's naked, she still wants to slip into something more comfortable. Maybe I am getting old, but that comment made perfect sense to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, you are crazy. Wear what makes you comfortable, life is too short.

angela | the painted house said...

It's your vacation, too! Tell him you'll wear the bikini if he will wear a head-to-toe chicken suit on that hot beach. Then he will know what it is like to be uncomfortable on the beach.

Anonymous said...

you look great in a bikini. The only time you shouldn't wear one is if I am around in my one piece! It tends to accent all the areas where I sag and that just about covers my whole body!