Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, III

Fueling the car: Robin is on top of things when it comes to his car. He's especially anal about making sure the gas tank is filled. And, I actually think he enjoys filling his car. He will add $10 worth and drive off. If he hated the chore, why wouldn't he fill it completely up and have to stop less often? Hmmm.

He gets very bent out of shape when I mention that my gas light is on. I've explained it to him this way: If the light is not on, I have gas. There is no need to stop, no matter what the indicator says, if the light isn't on. When the light does appear, I know I have about 30 more miles I can go before running completely out. I've actually flat lined it before and still mosied on down the road. But as a rule, I take the bright orange light as a sign that I need to start looking for a gas station.

A few days ago I asked Robin to fill my car since I was going out of town early the next morning. He asked why I hadn't filled it on my way home from work. I told him the light wasn't on. He then informed me that he really shouldn't fill it for me if I insisted on being so irresponsible. I reminded him that it took less time for him to fill my tank than it had for me to bake his cake a few days prior. He grumbled and asked for my car keys.

To sum it up, Robin will pump gas, a few drops at a time, and long before the gas light comes on. I wait until my car lets me know it's thirsty. Even then, I might make it practice self-control. Yes, Robin, I might run out of gas, but I have a cell phone I can use to call you if I do. Duh!

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

There is no thrill like testing fate and seeing how far you can get with the light on. Although, these days with kids in the car with me, I don't like to push it. Stranded on the side of the road with a 1 & 3 year old? No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Remember the days when you had no idea how to fill up your car? Women never had to worry about such inconveniences. I can remember having the gas station attendant fill up your car 100% of the time! Where are those smelly men anyway? And where do they work now that their job has been eliminated? I think we need to write to our congress man.

angela | the painted house said...

Randee, you should have seen the segment on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart where in New Jersey they ONLY have full service. Apparently they think that their residents are too stupid to pump their own gas...

Also, I remember when Mom didn't know how to pump gas--if she couldn't find a full service, then she would have Dad meet her at the gas station to pump gas. Clayton still can't believe this!

Peggy said...

Okay, I was spoiled rotten. Is there anything wrong with being married to a man who adores you and wants to spoil you? Clayton, FYI, I never had to change the blade in my razor either! He was the model all men should follow!