Friday, July 28, 2006

The Joys of Marriage, IV

TV Vs. Computer: There are many addictions in our marriage and the TV and computer are two of them. Robin hates computers. He has no interest in learning how to move around on one. When he is sitting in front of one, he gets frustrated. Give him a remote control, however, and he can sit there for hours. Remote controls make me very nervous. Maybe it's just the combination of Robin and a remote control that makes me nervous.

He has a habit of flipping through the channels and mumbling the show titles as he goes. He becomes motor mouth. Finally, he will announce that there's nothing on. What do most people do when there's "nothing on" TV? Hit the off button, perhaps? Nooooo. He watches something he's seen 10 times or a B-rated movie because there's "nothing on". The TV even remains on while he's reading a book. He's so afraid he will miss something. And, his viewing choices are very masculine: sci-fi, cops and robbers, action-packed hero stuff, and even some animated shows. Those don't interest me so I gravitate to the office and the blessed computer.

I've always enjoyed opening my mailbox and finding a letter. So checking e-mail is an exciting time for me. The pager is also a miracle for me as I stay in touch with friends and family who have moved away. And I'm addicted to FreeCell. I can play for hours. I clicked on my status bar once and almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw the number of games I've played. I'm too embarrassed to list the number, but I will admit that it's in the thousands.

Robin will come in often and ask how my lover and I are doing. I turn it around and ask how he and his lover are doing. He says his addiction is nothing compared to mine. Let's look at that for a moment.

The TV is usually on when I get in from work. I share that time with him as we catch up on local and world news, and watch Wheel of Fortune, about the only show I watch (I'm weird, I know, but TV is of little interest to me). Then I go to the kitchen to cook dinner. He's still in front of the TV. We eat dinner in front of the TV. I have both a kitchen and dining room table and we still sit on the floor in his den and eat off the coffee table. Sounds pretty addicted to me.

After dinner, I clean the kitchen while Robin watches TV. Then I figure it is "Peggy time" and I go (okay, rush) to the computer. I check mail, blogs, the status of my books, then relax with maybe 50 games of FreeCell. While I'm indulging myself, Robin is still in front of the TV. And, he's usually there when I leave the computer, set up coffee for the next morning, and take my shower. When he gets his shower, the TV in the bedroom comes on while he's waiting on me to wash off makeup (yikes!) and brush my teeth. Then he looks at the clock and notes the time and how late we are getting to bed because of my computer addiction. Hello?

In all fairness, I think we both have a serious addiction. It's my belief that TV offers very little to stimulate the brain while FreeCell is a challenge. Robin says his shows change, but my FreeCell stays the same. The TV offers many different shows, and FreeCell offers many different games. We both need to be big and admit our faults and weaknesses. We are chained to addictions.

"Hello, my name is Peggy and I'm a computer-holic."

Okay, Robin, it's your turn. Come out of denial and take that painful first step.



7 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the apple tree! I don't remember the last TV show I watched. In fact, our TV has been disconnected for a month or so. And, I, too, love the computer (when it isn't making me mad). But I have never played FreeCell. Must be good if you have played thousands!!

Oh, and what is up with your font size??? It keeps changing!

Peggy said...

I'm not alone in my addiction, your Titer shares it too. As for the font, I can't always get it to work. Maybe it's me. Nah, it's the computer.

Anonymous said...

As usual your mother and I share the same problem. I will be on the computer and Sid clicking the controls on the remote. He does go on the computer though. Its my only time that I really enjoy as he is amused doing my thing.... but then its back to the TV and he wants me there to "enjoy" every show he does. I did manage to solve the problem somewhat. I bought a lap top computer and now I sit in front of the TV, seemingly interested in his show playing a real arcade game. (I am also a computer holic, I even belong to the real arcade club that gives me a new game every month for a small fee lol) He still can't get over how I can watch TV and be on the computer also...OK, as long as you think so..I guess my laughing at the right time paid off!!

angela | the painted house said...

Ah, Cheryl, what a good trick! You must be so convincing!

Anonymous said...

Brian has the duel addiction. He watches Discovery channel and plays poker on the lap top every night. It is very frustrating when I ask him if he'd help me put the kids to bed and he gives me a look of disgust because he has to sit out the hand(s). I LOVE SUDOKU!!! It rocks. I have also played thousands of games and I only discovered it in March!

Anonymous said...

BTW, www.websudoku.com has free sudoku.

Peggy said...

Randee, are you trying to send me to divorce court? All I need is another addiction!