Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Cherished Poem by my Sister


As part of my birthday, my daughters are making me a scrapbook. They asked for comments from friends and family. My sister, Donna, wrote me a poem that reduced me to tears. I want to share it here, although I realize that some of it are inside jokes between us, while most is about our relationship during childhood.

Donna and I usually had kitchen duty and we harmonized while doing dishes. It made the chore bearable and faster. We also used to write poems for each other, most of which were tacky but all in fun. Now that I've set the stage, here's her beautiful poem.

A Poem For My Sister, Peggy

How do I start to write a rhyme for someone like my Sis,
As her ability is far better; that talent gene I missed.
Battle of the poets, she would always win.
Making fun of my bra size was to me a sin.

Early in our childhood, we had our standard chores,
Sweeping, dusting, mopping and picking up the floors.
We'd be doing dishes, Peggy washed and I dried,
Singing and telling stories, yes, making this fun, we tried.

My sister Peg is good, but also she is vain,
The rear view mirror episode was really quite insane.
I'd love to know the sacker's thoughts when to you he said goodbye.
That one last look in the mirror, didn't you just want to cry?

I'm so thankful I was blessed with the sister that I got,
She always treated me special though I could be a little snot.
Pretending I was Peggy when the cute young boys would phone,
Begging to go with her and Pat so I wouldn't be alone.

Peggy finds humor in oh so many things,
Though her heart is warm and generous, gives without any strings.
She is a friend of mine and I know to many others,
A wonderful grandma to nine and a kind and loving mother.

I thank God for you, Peggy, you have always shown you cared,
Even with your offspring you were willing with me to share.
I'm looking toward eternity at that heavenly kitchen sink,
Singing Drummer Boy with our Daddy,
He'd like that, don't you think?

I love you, Sissy!

Donna

Isn't that beautiful? Tears were stinging my eyes as I typed it. I will no longer make fun of Donna's poetry after this masterpiece. Well, maybe in fun.

Thank you, Donna, for words I will treasure for a lifetime. I love my Sissy!

4 comments:

Jan Tucker said...

I don't think Donna missed the 'writing poetry' gene pool at all. Yes, of course, I cried too just reading it. Very heartfelt from one sweet person to another!!

cheryl said...

She's another Pannell one of a kind!

angela | the painted house said...

I cried the first time I read this, too. She couldn't have written anything better.

Donna said...

I cried while I wrote it. Thank you for inspiring the poet in me. I love you. Cheryl, was that a compliment?