Saturday, January 09, 2010

Glaring at 60

I've used the word glaring since we're supposed to wince at the thought of entering a new decade with its added signs of age. It's popular to celebrate with black balloons, napkins printed with "over the hill", and gag gifts of adult diapers and Polident. I laugh at all the jokes about aging and the maladies that come with it. Maybe because I can relate.

But with all joking aside, I have always viewed another birthday as a blessing. Many, many people haven't seen their 60th birthday. I feel extremely fortunate that mine is less than two weeks away. In the last three and a half years I have had two trips to the emergency room that would have been fatal had I not gone. Yes, turning 60 is a blessing.

Looking back at these 60 years I have many regrets, many moments of joy, many people in my life that made life worth living. There are experiences I would love to relive, and some that I would not. I have been adored, loved, angered, saddened, disappointed, broken, and happy. This makes me not that much different than anyone else.

Who am I at 60? I hope I'm the same person but with a lot more confidence. Age has also brought a mellowing in that I no longer waste time over little things. My priorities are arranged in a realistic order. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I'm aware that perfection is not obtainable. I'm OK with that. I'm enjoying the increased independence that comes with age and I've learned not to look in the mirror with my reading glasses on.

But enough of this sentimental reflecting. The best part of turning 60 is PARTY time! I get to wake up on my birthday on a beautiful North Carolina mountain with the two best daughters anyone could ask for, a sister who is second to none, two friends who constantly amaze me that a friendship can be so perfect, and three cousins who asked to crash the party and will be loads of fun! Nine women laughing and being crazy! And a spa day for the pampering all women want.

Turning 60 will be painless.

5 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Can't put a price on the wisdom of years!

Can't wait for party time!!!!

Jan Tucker said...

Love your enthusiasm and attitude toward life. Wishing you the BEST birthday ever and I know you will enjoy it in NC.
Just think of how young we are compared to those celebrating their 100th birthday AND older!!

Donna said...

I'm really looking forward to this gathering of chicks! Can't wait!!!!

cheryl said...

Oh Boy, I can't wait.....I'm so glad your turning 60 BB. We keep going to better places each year! Lets see remember 45 - lets just say a stay at home birthday.....50....little german town, food, massage and two beautiful daughters to chaperone...now 60!!! This one is a headliner!!! What's in the works for 70? I know what we will be doing for 80 lol lol.

OH BOY OH BOY!

Peggy said...

Come on, Cheryl, don't be bashful. For my 45th you invited all us cougars over to your house AND a male stripper. Since I was the birthday girl, I got special favors. That's not a birthday I will easily forget.

70 is open for suggestions. 80 will be fun but let's not rush it.