Friday, April 13, 2007

On My Soapbox, 5

I hate stupidity. I acknowledge that all of us have moments of total "mental pause", but in public we usually try to be on our best behavior. I'm referring to Don Imus who chose to make a derogatory comment on the public airwaves. This story leaves me with comments for several people.

First, Don: If your clever little comment had to be spoken, why not in the privacy of your own home where you and wifey could have a little chuckle over it? Why, instead, do you choose to speak those stupid words into a microphone for the world to hear? That was not a smart move and it has cost you a lot. On the upside, you are now well known. I'd never heard of you before this. Gee, notoriety is great.

Rutgers Women's Basketball Team: Get over it. One stupid comment from one stupid man does not take away from the fact that you are great athletes. It takes drive and determination to be great. You have accomplished that and no idiot can take that away from you. Brush him off and focus on what makes you a great team. There will always be those who are stupid and say stupid things. Their words do not identify who you are. How you respond, how you live your lives, do. Don't ever let a comment destroy a fabulous accomplishment. Be more than an athlete. Be proud.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson: Where were you when one of your bros gave drugs to his young nephews? Toddler nephews? I don't recall hearing words to defend him. Come to think of it, I don't recall any words of reprimand either. Guess you're very selective in your outspoken stands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Those ladies are not only good athletes but are doing well scholastically.

I believe this is all being driven by the people who want to take all rights to free speach away. I think Don Imus has the right to say anything he pleases. He like the rest of us has to pay the consequences for his actions. I sure have.

Candice said...

nice Memaw. Speak the truth!