Sunday, April 08, 2007

A Novel Weekend


What better follow-up to a babysitting post than one about a lazy weekend with a good book? That's just what I did. I didn't bother getting dressed or adding makeup. Winter made another appearance with a few snow flurries and it seemed a good time to grab a novel and get comfortable.


I have always loved the rare weekends when I can snuggle up to a good book and let the world go on without me. My novel of choice this weekend was a good mystery by Lawrence Block. I've never read his work before, but I certainly will again. The book kept me riveted and I started and finished it in the same weekend. I enjoy a good mystery, perhaps my favorite reading material. I find it odd that what I enjoy reading, I do not enjoy writing. It might be because I lack the imagination to write a good mystery. My forte seems to be the ups and downs of everyday life with a touch of romance thrown in. And while I can enjoy a good romance novel, I much prefer the mysteries. Too many romance novels include a blow-by-blow description of the sex act which I find boring. We all know the various things that can happen behind closed doors and this is the time to let our imaginations take over. It's not like we're virgins who need a road map.


Anyway, the weekend was lazy and glorious and I feel rested enough to tackle a new work week. Also, reading a novel always gets my juices flowing and I look forward to my own writing. My next book, Sacrifice, is waiting for help from a local policeman who is well versed in financial crimes. Maybe Sacrifice will be a mini mystery!


8 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I can't wait to hear more about your new novel! Your weekend sounds divine!

Anonymous said...

you so deserve your relaxing weekend. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I probably need a road map.

Peggy said...

Sissy, you don't need a road map. I think we're just tired of traveling the same road. We just need a change in scenery! Life has many exciting things to offer and we miss them when we keep going the same direction!

Camryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camryn said...

haha speaking of books, meme read your simon says book, and she LOVED it! She said its one of the best books she has read! She sais she cant wait to read book #2. Next time i see her, im going to let her borrow my copy of the book so she could read it, but she said its a really good book. So see memaw, your book is GREAT. I have started on the first one, and it is good. GOOD JOB MEMAW!
I LOVE YOU!!!

Peggy said...

Camryn, thank you to you and Meme! I need all the support I can get. Spread the word around and get people to order! Love you!

Candice said...

SOUNDS LIKE FUN!