Thursday, April 12, 2007

I Fall To Pieces

I feel like a real klutz. I'm sitting here with a sore body and even typing isn't coming easily. I fell today, on a set of steps, and I think it pretty much hit me all over.

The injuries didn't look that serious when it happened, but as time goes on, the soreness is creeping into places I hadn't known were hurt. My right palm has a puncture wound and is the least of my worries. My whole left side feels bruised. My thumb is swollen, my wrist is skinned and my elbow doesn't want to move without hurting. Blood vessels broke on my left wrist, too, and they are turning dark blue.

I can't tell you how many times I have climbed those two steps at work without any difficulty. The porch and steps are covered with an uneven layer of stone and slate which caught my sandals and caused me to trip. And I tripped right into the steps. A sharp corner of slate on one step caught my right palm. Apparently, the weight of my body bent my thumb and put added pressure on my whole left side, limbs included. It hurt, but got better. Now, though, the soreness is setting in and making me wonder if these falls are going to continue.

This isn't my first fall. I've fallen several times on damp floors at work, the cat tripped me once and I hurt my tail bone. Now this. One of my employees told me it's because I have to wear pretty shoes instead of practical ones. Maybe so. My sister Donna said I might need a rubber room, and my friend Cheryl said she'd donate blood whenever I need it. Robin expressed his sorrow over my accident but said he would be teasing me about it. Randee was concerned and I truly appreciate her interest in my well being.

I've never been graceful so these falls might occur again. I think the second question Donna asked - after making sure I had no broken bones - was, "did anyone see you fall?". I wondered about that too. Why do we care? But if anyone saw, no one came to my rescue. I picked myself up, applied a paper towel to my bloody palm, and soothed my bruised dignity. I'm sore, but I'll live to do it again another day.

9 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Be careful, Mother! Maybe you need some ugly brown orthopedic shoes.

Anonymous said...

Maybe pink socks and green shoes...I HAD TO SAY THAT.... Actually that way you can see your feet!!! I'm sorry BB, I feel your pain....I MEAN I FEEL YOUR PAIN, as you know, I will be next.... (I'll be sympathetic on the pager today....:)

Peggy said...

Angela, I suppose the brown orthopedic shoes would be a proper payback. Although, I remember navy shoes?

Cheryl, I was hoping to put off the mismatched shoes and socks for a few more years. But at this rate, I may start putting together all kinds of interesting combinations. And, yes, watch your step. What happens to one usually happens to the other.

Anonymous said...

I came across so unfeeling. You know that isn't the way I felt about your accident. I was just trying to keep you from crying. Did it work?

How about keeping a pair of tennis shoes in your office you can slip on to go outside and then put your pretty shoes on inside. I keep a pair under my desk just in case my pretty shoes hurt my feet.

Peggy said...

Sissy, I found the rubber room comment both funny and something to think about. I need a protective cacoon. And I do sometimes bring alternate shoes, which are usually pretty and just as non-functional.

Anonymous said...

my poor mommy. I am going to walk her to the door next time. Do you remember when we were at the movie theater years ago and I was helping you down the stairs and asked sarcastically "Do you need some help honey?"?

not so sarcastic anymore.

Peggy said...

Randee, you have cracked me up more than once with your supportive arm. I laughed so hard at church when I was confused on the platform and you came to me, arms around my shoulders, and gently told me it would be alright, honey. I hope we find it as funny when I actually do slip into some kind of permanent fog.

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have Randee's supportive arm.

Candice said...

hahaha donna, i would ask that too! Aww poor memaw! i didnt know you fell! i hope you are doing better. i love you!