Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Surprise Visit

As if being at work and knowing it's Friday isn't good enough, add a surprise visit from an old school chum. I was working at my desk when the door opened and there was Jan Tucker with two Sonic Butterfinger Blasts. I immediately grabbed both her and my ice cream! It was a slow day for me at work (I was actually working on the newsletter) so we had a wonderful visit for over two hours.

Jan lost her mother this month and we talked about her and all the things associated with going through her belongings. In her funny Jan style, Jan related comical stories about her mother. I've saved an e-mail from her mother where she told me she had finished both my books and hoped I had the others finished before she died. She'd been in and out of the hospital the past few months, but still her death was unexpected. I remember her from the teen years when I'd spend the night at Jan's house. I attended her funeral and it was a beautiful celebration of her life.

Jan retired from her job where she handled insurance claims the day before she came to see me. She shared several folders her co-workers and boss had assembled of their fun times with her and their pictures so she'd never forget them. It was clear that Jan's warm smile and sunny personality had won them all over, not to mention how efficient she was on the job. I know she will be greatly missed. But as I told her, I hope their loss is my gain as she will be free to drop in on me from time to time.

I thoroughly enjoyed her visit (and the Butterfinger Blast) and it was a wonderful way to end the day and begin the weekend. Jan is such an "up" person that one can't stay down very long in her presence. She has a heart of gold, she remembers every occasion, and she gives herself as a friend for life. I feel very fortunate to be in that privileged group of friends.

The following day she left a phone message about a book club that would be willing to have me come to their meeting and speak on Simon Says, Books One and Two. Once I get back with her on that, I will share the good news. She's always pushing my books and has been a wonderful support during this time. I appreciate her and the woman she is very much. Believe me, I'm not alone. Anyone who knows her feels the same way. What a gal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Peggy, thank you for putting this on your blog. You know I copied and pasted this to my Maisye notes for the month of March! You have such a way with words. I am anxiously awaiting your book #3, Sacrifice!