Friday, March 30, 2007

A Date With Candice

What a wonderful evening Candice and I had last night with dinner and shopping for her "sweet 16" birthday. We began this tradition nine years ago when my wedding trip to Las Vegas was going to prevent me from attending her 7th birthday party. To make up for it, I took her to dinner, then we shopped and I let her pick out what she wanted for her birthday. We had so much fun that she and Camryn want to do this every year. I also started doing it with the boys this year as Thomas and Jude turned five.

When I arrived at Candice's house I gave her a gold tote bag with a perfume gift box inside, shopping money, and her sweet 16 card with $16 inside, another tradition I began with my own children and stopped when they got too expensive! Then we literally pigged out at El Fenix with lots of good conversation too. Candice is a very mature young lady with lots of common sense and education. She can discuss any topic with insight that is rare for a girl her age. She's so refreshing!

Our next stop was shopping at Grapevine Mills Mall. Candice picked out some very pretty tops to wear with her jeans, a white camisole to wear underneath, and a pretty pair of dangling, sparkling earrings. She was anxious to wear one of her tops and the perfume to school today. She looked fabulous as she modeled her tops for me. We topped off the evening with Cinnabons which we took home and sampled.

The weather was not the best. We carried umbrellas and sloshed through water puddles in our flip-flops and froze with our wet clothes and feet once inside the mall. I'm surprised we didn't break into our own rendition of Singing In The Rain, but most likely that was a song from my generation, not hers. A very pleasant, sweet moment was when we sat in the car, the rain running down the windows, and talked about my life with her Grandpa and all the happy and sad times we experienced. I loved sharing that beautiful history with my granddaughter.

Candy Girl, you are a jewel and I'm so proud of you for many, many reasons. You have a good, not to mention beautiful, head on your shoulders and it will serve you well. Thank you for a night to remember.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you had a great time. I had a great time the last time she and I visited at the farm. She has a way of engaging everyone in conversation. Even Ryan opened up. She needs to work on Troy next. I love it when a young person is interested in what is going on around them and shows an interest in who they are talking with. What a gal!

angela | the painted house said...

Why couldn't I be as pretty at 16 as Candice?

Wish I could have spent some birthday fun with her.

Anonymous said...

Thank u Memaw! I had such a good time with you and i will always remember that special day. I loved what we did and our conversations were so meaningful. Thank you for that.

-Candice