Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Date with Bubba J

Jude is going to have a birthday soon and Robin and I decided age 5 was old enough for our lunch and shopping trips with grandchildren having a birthday. Jude was as excited about this adventure as we were. He just couldn't believe his car seat would be placed in Memaw's car and that he would have us all to himself.

The fun began at the eating place of his choice - Steak & Shake. He enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich, fries, and a chocolate shake. He also asked for water since he's such a good boy. Papa Robin had chicken strips, fries and a shake, and I stuck with my usual of a single burger, fries and a Diet Coke. We all ate well! Jude kept thanking us for feeding him and spending the time with him for his special birthday. Once, he hugged and kissed me and told me he'd always be my Bubba J. That melted a big portion of my heart. His Mom had told him to seize each moment and enjoy it and not rush it. He obeyed perfectly. He kept eating after we finished and I told him there was no rush when he told me he wasn't through eating.

Next, we bounded into the car for the thrilling trip to Toys R Us. All the way there he told us he was having a great time and he thanked us over and over. When we neared our exit and the big Toys R Us sign loomed ahead, the excitement grew for Jude. I didn't have to ask him twice what the sign said.

I must point out here that he told me at lunch that he wouldn't get anything expensive since money also needed to be used for food and clothes. I thought that was very insightful for such a young guy.

The first aisle in the store was their summer display of outside, beach and pool toys. Jude spotted a plastic wheelbarrow set with a rake, shovel, and other gardening tools. He said he would be a good gardener. Sorry Mom and Dad if the flowerbeds get destroyed. That was the first item in the basket. Next, we took him to the "boy" section where all the cool toys were. He found a battery-operated tank with all the bells and whistles and told me he would like that and he would be done. I explained we still had money allotted for his birthday and he could pick out another toy. I knew he liked the characters from Toy Story so I steered him in that direction. He found another Buzz Lightyear that was a little different than the one he already had. He fell in love with it and it, too, went into the basket. Jude then announced he was done. That was good to hear since the limit had been met. We were impressed nonetheless.

I suggested picking out a soft plush toy for Baylee and Sophia. Jude was reluctant to do so, saying "it will be another stuffed animal that Mom and I have to pick up". I told him I think Baylee can understand that she's big enough to help clean. We bought her a small pug dog and a bunny for Sophia. We also picked out a big, pink pool bag for Mama. Jude was anxious to go home and show his family his treasures.

It was such a wonderful day with our little guy. I couldn't believe how appreciative he was of every moment, every morsel of food, and every toy. He was so sweet and polite and I salute his parents for teaching him to be that way. We love you, Jude!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he had such a great time and I also want to thank you for not only the toys but the great time he had with you both. I am going to print this out and put it in his scrap book, saves me the journaling time!

angela | the painted house said...

What a treat for everyone involved! I know he must have relished his alone-time with you and Robin.

Anonymous said...

That sounded like so much fun. No better shakes to be found than Steak 'n Shake. And a trip through the toy store!!!! I have to admit, I am a little jealous. And to have two wonderful grandparents to do enjoy this fun with! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDE....I LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jude!

I surprised Robin and Jude let you go to the toy store with them! Did Robin ask for very much while you were there? Just kidding.

I know you were looking forward to spending time with Jude for his birthday. I'm glad you all had a great time. He's such a sweet, good, and cute boy.