Thursday, January 11, 2007

On My Soap Box, 2

In the aftermath of 9/11 much has been said about racial profiling. The unfortunate victims of such profiling are up in arms over the injustice of it. I certainly understand their feelings to a point. But we have to put our sensitive feelings aside and get real. We can't afford another 9/11 and I'm in favor of whatever security measures that need to be in place.

Let's face it, we've all been inconvenienced. I don't like removing my shoes to go through airport security. I don't like waiting for friends and family at the luggage carousel when I'd rather greet them at their gate. I don't want to be the random one who is frisked for potentially dangerous objects. I do, however, want to feel safe when I board a plane and know that the officials in charge are doing their job to perfection. Therefore, I will tolerate the inconveniencies for the sake of safety. We live in a new world where innocent-looking individuals can't be trusted.

I remember the time I picked up my grandson, Thomas, from pre-school. He squealed when he saw me there and ran into my open arms. It was obvious that I was no stranger to him. Still, his teacher asked for my name and license, checking both against a list of those who were allowed to pick up Thomas. Once I was pronounced safe, she apologized for having to doubt me. I assured her that it made me feel better about Thomas and his environment. I left there knowing that if anyone came to get Thomas, they would be checked out first.

Too, consider a group of gang members with purple hair and black eyeliner terrorizing the city. If someone matching that description sat next to you on a plane, wouldn't you be concerned? I would. Both examples explain how the innocent have nothing to fear when profiled. Of course, there are instances when the profiling goes too far. I admit that there are many stupid people in the world who love to test our emotional endurance. But for the most part, I don't have a problem with racial profiling. It is common sense to question the intentions of those who so resemble our enemies. Forging ahead with blind trust is dangerous. We saw the consequences of that on 9/11.

So, get a grip everyone. We're all facing annoying and delaying inconveniencies in the name of national security. It's now a necessary evil. Instead of looking at it as a personal attack, consider the masses whose lives might have already been spared due to heightened awareness. It's not the time for the "me" syndrome. Let's begin looking at "us" collectively.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go girl