Thursday, January 04, 2007

Mirrors Don't Lie

Especially a big, honkin' one on a pedestal with three light settings and a magnifying side that works like a microscope. That's the surprise gift my friend, Patty, gave me when she came to visit this week. She'd told me over the phone that she had something for me that "you'll hate me for when you see it, but will love me for after you use it". Well, I already love Patty. I've loved her since we met in the sixth grade. She's my friend from way back. But the giant mirror is really testing this friendship.

I was very anxious to use it the next morning while applying makeup. Patty said it really helped while working on the eyes with shadow and mascara. So, I plug the thing in, tap the base three times for the ultimate light, then peered into the magnified mirror for the shock of my life. I knew I had a mustache but didn't know it could be styled. Where did all those black hairs come from? And my face! I don't think the moon has that many craters! I saw trenches, pits, sun spots, and broken capillaries that made my face look like the map of Texas. And I have a unibrow when I thought I had two nicely shaped eyebrows. I don't even want to mention nose hair. Yuck.

Ever so slowly, I recovered from shock long enough to use the mirror for its intended purpose. I rubbed and rubbed the foundation into my skin, wondering why it wouldn't smooth. Maybe it never had and I hadn't noticed. But my trusty mirror pointed out every application flaw. Then it was time to do my eyes. How does anyone get shadow on lids like that? No wonder I can't see. My lids droop. I got ready a lot faster when I didn't know I looked thrown together.

Patty is a precious friend who spoils me rotten. She comes over so often bearing gifts. I have about 120 bottles of perfume and most came from her. Besides the perfume, she has spoiled me with clothes, jewelry, purses and shoes. She buys gifts that appeal to my senses. Therefore, I'm not surprised that she gave the mirror for my sense of sight. But I do see two extremes here. While a bottle of perfume can arouse the sense of smell with a floral bouquet of fragrance, the mirror showed me a stranger. A stranger I didn't want to know. A stranger who made me think of some of the characters from the Wizard of Oz. Maybe even the Bride of Frankenstein.

"You will hate me, then love me," Patty had said. I do love you, my friend. But I'll love you more if you will stick to my sense of smell. The mirror is too much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sissy,

just keep hanging around us other aging folks and no one will notice you have any flaws. I had no idea.

Anonymous said...

Now we know why everyone at the local "piggly wiggly" come screaming and running out the front door of the store....not to mention the snickers from the cashier. I always thought she laughed because of all the "nutritious" food we buy. Thats alright BB, you still look good after a week hold up in Bandera....


OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angela | the painted house said...

I feel your pain...today I went to an esthetician for a microderm abrasion. She put some hooded mask on my face with a violet light to look at my skin. After saying that I have "a lot, I mean, a lot of skin damage," she gave me a mirror to take a look. The image will haunt me until the day I die. Please, tell me it isn't so!

Oh, you know that you are beautiful, big honkin' mirror or not.

Peggy said...

I think I'd tell that woman what to do with her mask and violet light, Angela. Ask your eye expert if the ordinary person can see the flaws with the naked eye. I can understand that broad wanting your business, but she could use tact, like "you have such lovely skin and this treatment will prolong its beauty". I hope she wakes up tomorrow with ten new wrinkles.

Anonymous said...

Nice