Friday, August 20, 2010

In Loving Memory of Sharon

My heart is so heavy right now as I honor my dear friend, Sharon, who passed away today after battling cancer for the second time. I can't find the words to describe what she meant to me. Our friendship was brief - we met for the first time over two years ago - but the impression she made on my life is ever-lasting. Her precious daughter, Rachael, and my precious daughter, Angela, have been good friends for many years, so I was excited to finally meet Sharon. A few days after that first meeting she called to tell me she saw something so special in my eyes, something so sincere, and wanted to get to know me better. To be honest, I was stunned that she could look at me and find something so worthwhile, something worth knowing. I eagerly agreed to meet her for lunch and a friendship developed immediately.

Just as Sharon said she could see someone in me that she wanted to know better, she has shown me the face of Jesus when I look at her. Her faith was so strong, so evident, that she absolutely glowed. She was one of the purest and sweetest women I have ever met. She lived her Christian life to the fullest and shared that joy with those around her. I've attended her Bible studies and gained so much inspiration from her words and how she delivered them. I was in awe of the time she loved spending with the Bible and it showed in her very countenance. Sharon was a beautiful person. She had the most delightful smile, and freckles, and laughter, and peace, that I was drawn to her again and again. I will miss everything about this special friend.

This picture was taken a year ago, the last time I saw Sharon before she moved out of state. I felt honored to be a part of the beautiful mother/daughter bond that was Sharon and Rachael.

I took Sharon to meet my parents and my mother readily adopted her and Sharon was happy to call her Mom. My mother's heart is heavy tonight also.

Both Sharon and my Dad have fallen asleep in Jesus and I look forward to the day when we are reunited with them. When my Dad was struck with cancer, Sharon listened to me cry many times and she offered me such comfort and peace and hope. I will forever be grateful for those gentle, caring words.


Sharon, my cherished friend, thank you for the joy you added to my life by simply being the wonderful person you are. We will meet again, friend, in a place where cancer can't exist. Sleep peacefully and I will see you in the morning. What a glorious day that will be.






5 comments:

cheryl said...

This is indeed a sad time for the ones left behind. Just remember her words to you Peggy. She was brought to you for a reason. Sounds as though God has just said...mission accomplished Sharon, now it is time to rest...

Jan Tucker said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. We attended my cousin's funeral Tuesday and one of my Senior Center friends Wednesday. NO MORE PAIN for all three. I always say, Gone But Not Forgotten.

dee said...

Sharon was one of the most spiritual people I have ever met. You always left her better than when you came. There is a legacy left in the space that she occupied on this earth. We have lost a great warrior for Christ. Her beautiful hand print is foever on our hearts. My prayers to her husband, children,and grand children

Donna said...

I'm sorry Sissy. I'm sure Sharon felt blessed to know you as well. I love you.

angela | the painted house said...

She was a one-of-a-kind gem, such a sweet and beautiful spirit she had. Contagious smile and warmth. We are all so blessed to have known her. Love you, Sharon! Can't wait to see her standing with my PaPaw again really soon.