Sunday, April 19, 2009

Three Months Today

Many of us gathered at the cemetery today to see the new memorial marker for Sugar.This is the back, the first side you see as you enter the cemetery. When I saw our family name I told my mother that it looked so out of place in that setting. I guess I thought my strong capable Dad could even conquer cancer.
The foot stone was provided by the funeral home in honor of my dad's service in the U.S. Army

The front of the marker has my parents' names within an open Bible, with their wedding date between them. It's hard to find positive things to say about a headstone. I just know it beautifully identifies my dad's temporary resting place.


6 comments:

cristal said...

I know how hard it is to see your family name in the cemetary. It seems so out of place. And you're right about thinking of him, like I did my Granddaddy, that nothing could ever happen to that mountain of a man. But it is a beautiful head stone. And I think it's awesome that the cemetary put down a foot stone celebrating him as a veteran. All veterans are heros in my book.

cheryl said...

My parents have the dual headstone. It breaks my heart everytime I see it. Such a big piece of my life is gone. Once again, it gets easier to handle but never out of my mind.

Donna said...

I thought it looked nice. Not too crazy about seeing the names there. Reality check.

angela | the painted house said...

It is still too hard to believe. I miss him so much.

Jan Tucker said...

Nice tribute. Remember, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.
I like the way Oak Grove in Irving Honors the Veterans and puts their name at the base of the Flagpole at the entrance to the cemetery. I've taken a picture when Mother and my Grandfather's names come up periodically. I get a post card stating the dates their names are honored; usually about every 9 months or so.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS STILL SO HARD TO BELIEVE...MY MOM IS ON HOSPICE AND WE HAVE TO GO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS... WE JUST KEEP PUTTING THIS OFF... PATTY