Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hanging Onto Hangers

A notice was left on our door announcing that a truck would be on our street to pick up clothing and appliances. I thought this was a good time to clean my closet. I go to the trouble of ironing my tops only to squeeze them into a packed closet. I practically had to close my eyes and throw. I got rid of tops and jeans I'd been hanging onto for years. Most were from the County Seat. How long have they been out of business? I thought I'd fit into the jeans again (jeans are jeans, right?) but decided that although my weight is the same as back then, my shape isn't. So they all got stuffed into bags for pick up, along with a dozen pairs of shoes - something else I collect.

Of course, before I could reach the clothes in the back of the closet I had to organize my scrapbooking papers and tools. That was fun and got my juices flowing again to be somewhat creative and start my grandchildren scrapbook someday soon. Some hobbies will just have to wait until the holidays are over.

The final clean up - after 4 bulging bags are carried to the front door by Robin - is the huge pile of clothes hangers. Anyone who knows me well knows I am anal about clothes hangers. Not so much like daughter Angela who has to have all one color, but my concern is abundance. I fear of running out of hangers. I cringe when Robin grabs one and pulls it apart for some outdoor chore he's doing. I've even been known to twist one back into shape so it can be salvaged. And imagine my delight when I buy a new outfit and they leave it on the hanger for me to take home! I hoard my hangers. I'll never be accused of being Joan Crawford!

Alas, there was no room to store the mountain of hangers that remained on my floor. I forced myself to pick out the better ones and bag the others for trash day. Yes, trash day. I'm actually throwing away alllllll those hangers! Our next trash day is Wednesday so there's still time to change my mind.

So, I'm near tears as I discard my treasure of hangers and Robin walks in with a look of shock on his face. When he found his voice, he said "where's my wife and what have you done with her?" Yes, he knows me well.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sissy, I never knew this about you. I detest wire hangers unless I'm locked out of my car. I'm anal about the plastic ones or the ones with the clips to hang pants or skirts. I'm sure your closet looks neat. I remember you use to keep clothes for a long time. Didn't know about the hangers. We're always learning something. If you won't tell anyone, I'm stingy with paper towels. I buy the "select a size" and I'm even stingy with the smallest sheet. I have even been known to re-use.

Peggy said...

Sissy, we're a weird family, huh? I, too, love the hangers with clips for my shorts and pants. No problem about the paper towels. We all have some small "quirk" that sets us apart.

Anonymous said...

well girls, I am bad about both of those subjects. I hate wire hangers, yet when I give them away I neatly bunch them up and tie them. By the time I am done I am in such a lousy mood, you wouldn't want to be around me. I now buy the white ones at target that also have a groove to hold skinny straps that ALSO slip off the hanger. I am also a penny pincher on paper towels. I also buy the select a size, and still rip them in half! It kills me when the kids grab a bunch for a little drop on the floor....at least wet the whole thing and wipe up my floor!!!! Do I have a problem????

Peggy said...

I'm not a fan of wire hangers either. I prefer the plastic ones. But when you have a hanger fixation, it's hard to throw out wire ones too. Sissy and Cheryl, you would die if you saw how careless we are with paper towels!

Anonymous said...

Sissy, the cleaners I was using also asked their patrons not to throw their hangers away -- just to throw them their way. I don't use them now that I'm in Denton during the day. You want 'em?

Cheryl, so I'm in good company. I'll bet you re-use aluminum foil too!

angela | the painted house said...

A few things:

Gross about reusing paper towels.

I hate select-a-size. I like good old-fashioned regular 2-ply cushiony paper towels.

Mom, this is not true: "jeans are jeans." I am so glad you threw out your "mom jeans" from the early nineties...and possibly late eighties. Even jeans go out of style.

And, Mom, your hanger situation would drive me crazy...I am so like Ms. Crawford, "NO WIRE HANGERS!" I've been known to beat my husband with them...

Okay, I'm through. Hope you neurotic ladies are having a lovely day...

Peggy said...

Is someone having a bad day?

Anonymous said...

This is too funny......you think Oprah could use this as a topic????? One good thing has come out of this for me....think I will clean my closet, want my hangers, I package them really nice!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! That's all I have to say!

Anonymous said...

I'd say Peggy needs to keep on blogging. We've missed it, right girls?

angela | the painted house said...

Yes, I was about to give up on her!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart....Sounds like OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with the hangers. I just threw out two big handfuls in the garbage on Monday! Don't cry, please!

Peggy said...

Well, it's trash day and my hangers made it into that big nasty truck. The good news is that I didn't go through a whole box of Kleenex! It helped knowing I wasn't alone, Jan. You gave them up too.