Thursday, May 06, 2010

Honoring Moms & Grandmas

There are those delightful moments in life when you just feel like royalty. Whether perched on a lofty pedestal or lounging in an ivory castle, your perception of self-worth is soaring through orbit. You are all-important. You are on a higher plane. You are God's special gift. And all you had to do was walk through a door and enter the presence of a grandchild.That look of surprise, then the wide smile, two little arms opening as they rush into your own, and the excited squeal of "Memaw" fills the air, and your moment of being supreme has just taken place. I got to experience that today as I visited Sophia's pre-school classroom as they honored moms and grandmas this morning. She shyly acknowledged my presence in a roomful of other supreme beings, then smiled and rushed into my arms. How thrilled she was to have me in her element, and unexpectedly.
Allison and I listened to their sweet tributes and songs, and stole a quick visit to Baylee's room where I was exalted once more. I'm telling you, today I don't stink.
After spending time with the girls, we went to Jude's school to share lunch with him. He, too, didn't know I was coming. He stood in line to enter the cafeteria and spotted his mom. He was so happy to see her. Then, he noticed that I stood slightly behind her and the pedestal I was on elevated to the heavens. That's just how good they make you feel. And look at this cute boy with his missing front tooth! He's proud that he pulled it out himself.
Jude told me that when parents or grandparents visit for lunch that they sit at a special table, separate from the class. So his mom and I had him all to ourselves.
Proud Mama and Memaw were told by Jude's teacher that he was so polite and well mannered, and tells her jokes. She said she wished she had ten more like him in her class. I don't doubt it. Jude has a special knack of knowing how to make others feel special. He's a friend to everyone.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the kids today. I may be a little hard to live with for a few days, until I come down from the clouds where I've been. But I had my moments of glory and they will keep me until one of us walks in the door again.

4 comments:

cheryl said...

Your one VERY special memaw. They love you so much. (I love you too!)

Jan Tucker said...

You made me smile today just knowing how happy you were with seeing all three of Allison's children at their schools for your 'special' day.
You are so lucky to be loved by so many people.

Donna said...

I want to see Baylee!

I am happy you have been so blessed with these kids and grandkids. You should be on cloud 9:)

angela | the painted house said...

Glad you got all that special treatment--you are all that and more!

Way to go, Jude, losing that front tooth! I hope you received lots of money from the tooth fairy. :)