Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Joy of Having Young Grandsons!

I was flattered twice this week by Thomas and Jude, both four. Thomas was in my arms giving one of those lingering hugs when he asked, "when I get big, can I marry you, Memaw?". I melted! And since grandsons are safe, I assured him I'd love to marry such a handsome boy.

A few days later I was talking to Jude on the phone and told him this next weekend we'd go on a trip to Houston to see Aunt Angela and his cousins. I said that Memaw and Papa would stay in the same hotel as him, his mom and Baylee. He asked if he could sleep with me! Then, when we talked about swimming in the hotel pool, he was excited and asked if I had a bathing suit. I assured him that I did, and he got excited that I'd be playing in the pool with him.

Now, let's go forward to about 10 years from now. The thought of marrying Memaw would place a revolting look on Thomas's face. Jude wouldn't even want to think about sleeping with Memaw and the last thing he'd want to see is Memaw in a bathing suit. Ah, the innocence of childhood. I will wallow in their adoration for now, before they grow up and look at Memaw in a totally different light. What a blessing all of them are to me!

2 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Well, I'm all grown, and I can't wait to see you in a swimsuit! Hot Mama!

Anonymous said...

Jude will never loose his love for his precious meemaw